Summary: . As we look together at the life of Daniel, a Hebrew in exile in Babylon, we can see the exact debacle taking place there. But, the outcomes might be different for Daniel?
DANIEL 6: 1-16
NOVEMBER 26, 2000
INTRODUCTION: Important definitions:
CHAD: noun. The punch out portion of a punch style voting ballot.
DIMPLE: noun. A chad on a voting ballot that is bulging but not pierced, by a voter’s stylus.
PREGNANT CHAD: noun. A chad attached by all four corners to a voting ballot that is either bulging or pierced.
HANGING CHAD: noun. A chad attached to a voting ballot by a single corner. SWINGING DOOR CHAD: noun. A chad attached to a voting ballot by two corners.
TRI CHAD: noun. A chad attached to a voting ballot by three corners.
INDECISION 2OOO CONTINUES: WHERE ARE WE? (CNN PRINTOUT)
Has all the political wrangling made you mad? I am not talking about the definition of mad as in angry or frustrated. I am talking about the definition of mad as in insane, without control of one’s emotions. I am thoroughly mad and mad! I wonder what I will do between 2:30 and 4:00 am when this thing is over?
One of the scariest thoughts I have had during this whole post election circus is, how powerful are lawyers and political entities, and how insignificant is the average person?
The powers at be are staggering and the spin-doctors are amazing, and who wins, really, who wins?
TRANSITION THOUGHT: As strange as it may seem, this political maneuvering is nothing new. It has been occurring for literally thousands of years. Whenever there is a new political power rising to the national front, the powers that be, the status quo, will oppose vehemently. As we look together at the life of Daniel, a Hebrew in exile in Babylon, we can see the exact debacle taking place there. But, the outcomes might be different for Daniel?
THESIS SENTENCE: Finding clear focus is the only way to avoid the pitfalls of life.
I. THE TRAP SET (VV. 1-5/ 6-9)
A. THE CRITERION GIVEN: Daniel was a man of focus (VV. 1-5)
1. Daniel was slated by King Darius himself to be set as administrator over the whole kingdom.
2. Daniel was distinguished among the administrators
3. He was known for his exceptional qualities
4. No charges could be found against Daniel
5. No corruption could be found in Him
6. He was neither corrupt nor negligent in any of his duties.
7. His only weakness was his loyalty to God!
B. THE TRAP SET (VV. 6-8)
1. 122 against 1!
2. There is strength in #’s
3. The phrase “as a group” is mentioned 3 times in verses 6, 11, and 15. 4. The satraps and administrators set up King Darius as God. None other can be prayed to.
C. THE KING PERSUADED (VV. 9)
1. The King is duped?
2. Did he believe himself to be god? Was he a product of his culture?
3. Did King Darius simple know the power of Religion?
II. THE CHALLENGE ENDURED (VV. 10-20)
A. THE FOCUS FOUND (VV. 10)
1. Daniel receives the bad news, he was not allowed to pray at school?
2. Daniel acts, but does not react!
3. Daniel continues in the pattern previously established
4. The pattern irregular X2 (note 1: 8-15)
a. Three times a day instead of morning and evening
b. On knees/prostrate instead of standing
c. Prayed in a prayer room, a sign of status
B. THE TRAP REVISITED (VV. 11-15)
1. The group spies out Daniel “as a group.”
2. The group tells on Daniel = small children
3. The group reminds the King of his own law
4. The Kings agrees
5. The group reveals Daniel as the culprit.
6. The King seeks a way out as the Group holds him accountable
C. PUNISHMENT RENDERED (VV. 15-20)
1. Daniel is thrown to the lions
2. The tomb is sealed
3. The King “Prays and Fasts.”
a. No sleep
b. No food
c. No pleasure
D. BIAS REVEALED
1. In verse 14 King Darius sought a way to get Daniel out.
2. Now King Darius affirms Daniel and his God: “May your God, whom you serve continually rescue you!” and “Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to rescue you from the lions (vv. 16 & 20)?”
III. THE VICTORY WON (VV. 21-28)
A. THE SERVANT SAVED (VV. 21-22)
1. Daniel does not over come the Lions, God sent someone else to do it for him.
2. Daniel is affirmed by God as one innocent before God and the King.
B. THE KING FINDS FOCUS/OVERJOYED (VV. 23-24)
1. The King delivers his friend from the pit
2. The King rights the wrong. NOTE: THE LIONS WERE HUNGRY 3. Note: was Daniel falsely accused?
C. GOD EXALTED/ THE TRUE FOCUS OF LIFE (VV. 25-28)
1. The King Sends Notice