Summary: Where do you go when you feel weak, powerless, and defeated? Isaiah gives us hope by sharing with us 3 truths to restore hope and be strengthened by the Lord.
FINDING NEW STRENGTH IN THE LORD
This prophecy of Isaiah is during a very dark time in the nation of Judah. God had delivered them from the Assyrian Army decades ago, but Judah has continued in sin and been judged. Isaiah had prophesied and it is now happening that Babylon has come to destroy them and taking every thing of value and beauty from them. There sins were many, worshiping idols and immorality. But, in this passage God is telling them that they have sinned in trusting in their own strength and in their political alliances instead of trusting in Him.
Out of the darkest of times in the life of Judah, God’s Word comes as a message of hope to them thru Isaiah.
Are in your own dark place right now. You’re struggling under a load that is killing you. You’ve tried everything you know to do, but still you feel there is no hope. You don’t know what to do! If this describes your situation, hold on and listen, God has a Word 4 you.
Isaiah is giving us 3 truths today to restore hope!
1. OUR GOD IS POWERFULLY ABLE.
Is 40:28a Do you not know? Have you not heard?
Isaiah is excited about something good. He wants to share some awesome news. It reminds me of a girl that has just gotten a ring and proposal of marriage. She wants to tell everybody.
* Isaiah’s news is much better. His news is that there is hope for those who are living in defeat. Broken-hearted. Weary of the struggle.
Those that feel there is no hope and no use to even try again.
Those whose problems and burdens are to big to solve.
* What is this news?
A. Our God is Powerful.
Is 40:28b The Everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable.
In 1934, Dizzy Dean was being interviewed before baseball season. He predicted that he and his brother Daffy would win 45 games between them and his team (Cardinals) would win the world series. A reporter admonished him for bragging. Dizzy responded that “it ain’t bragging if you can do it.” They won 49 games between them and did win the World Series. They were known as “The Gas House Gang”.
* Isaiah, here, is bragging on God. It is a sin to brag about yourself, but it isn’t a sin to brag about God. And, He can always back it up!
What are God’s attributes that Isaiah mentions?
1. Everlasting God- the only God there’s ever been or will be!
2. The Lord- He is Supreme and everything is under His authority.
3. The Creator- if He created it, He owns it.
4. All Powerful- never tires. Always able.
5. He is Wisdom personified- cannot be understood by finite creatures. We are only able to understand of Him what He chooses to reveal.
B. Our God wants to share His Power with us.
Is 40:29 He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power.
God is not content to merely hold onto His power within Himself. He takes great delight in empowering His children to do the works of God.
* He took Moses, a weak man unable to even speak well, and gave him the power to part the waters so Israel could walk across on dry land.