Summary: Things are changing rapidly. We need something that does not change, and that is God
Finding the constant in a constantly changing world
A. Who here actually like change?
B. As I was thinking about change I thought of one group of people who actually do like change
C. Wet Babies!
D. We live in a world were we see change every day.
E. I think about all the changes that have happened here at Bakerstown in the last 2.5 years.
F. Change change change, happens all the time
G. However there is one things that does not change
H. One things that never has changed
I. One thing that never will change
J. That is the Gospel
K. The Gospel is the Constant is a constantly Changing world
L. Today we are going to look at the unchanging message of the Gospel specifically
a. The Gospel needs No Additions
b. Only the Gospel Can Save Men from their Sins
c. Distorting the Gospel is Serious Business
d. Only the Gospel produces Changed Lives
I. The Gospel Needs no Additions (6)
1. When Paul left the Ephesians Church they were on fire
2. Everything was going good, they were fulfilling the five purpose of the church
a) Worshiping, Reaching, Growing, Serving, and Connecting
b) They were preaching the Gospel
3. Paul was encouraged, was waiting to hear the good reports that he figured would be coming
4. Well when Paul heard what was happening in Galatians, he flipped
5. It seemed like overnight they went from preaching the Gospel of Christ
6. To preaching some sort of different Gospel
a) Which Paul says “Is really no gospel at all”
7. Paul is just shocked beyond belief that they could be doing this
8. He was their when they accepted the Grace of God with no strings attached
9. And no look at them… Abandoning the One True Gospel
1. How can we apply this to our lives?
2. If Paul received an update from the Church of Bakerstown how would he respond?
3. Would he start flipping out on us like he did that Galatians?
4. Are we deserting the Gospel?
5. Are we adding requirements to the Gospel that are not there?
6. For example can you find me the verse that says, “Cleanliness is next to Godliness”? -- That is adding to the Gospel
7. For example can you find me the verse that republicans like to quote “God helps them who help themselves?” – That is adding to the Gospel
8. For example can you find me the verse that says you must were a suit or a dress to Church? -- That is adding to the Gospel
9. As long as you have faith you will go heave right? NO, your faith must be in the saving grace of Christ. Anything that deviates from that is a different gospel which is really no Gospel at all
10. “God can not forgive him, he killed all those people” – That is adding to the Gospel
1. Let me be very clear on this. Let me give you the Gospel. Listen carefully, here it is
a) WE ARE SINNERS, WE DESERVE ENTERNAL PUNISHMENT, WHICH IS SEPERATION FROM GOD
b) CHRIST CAME TO EARTH TO TAKE THE PUNISHEMENT FOR OUR SINNERS
c) HE DEFEATED DEATH AND IS NOW IN HEAVEN
d) BECAUSE HE TOOK THE PUNISHMENT FOR OUR SINS WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY FOR ENTERNAL LIFE WITH GOD
e) TO GAIN THIS ETERNAL LIFE ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS BELIVE IN OUR HEART AND CONFESS WITH OUR MOUTHS THAT JESUS IS LORD AND WE WILL BE SAVED
2. You add to that you are distorting the Gospel
3. You take away from that you are distorting the Gospel
4. Are you living, breathing, and speaking the true Gospel?
II. Only the Gospel Can Save Men From Their Sins (7)
1. What was happening in Galatians was there were people who were preaching salvation that was not the Gospel
2. You must understand something, often we get this idea that people who are the false teachers are these evil people dressed up like the devil complete with horns and a pitch fork
3. That is not that case.
4. Most false teachers look, act, and sound believable
5. It would be no problem to get rid of someone who seems totally off the wall
6. But the people who will do the most damage are those who are “just a little different”
7. Those who are skilled in the Bible and are able to misuse Scripture to prove their point
8. These are the people Paul is talking about
9. These people are causing great confusion in the Church
10. By far these are the scariest people we run across
1. The other day I was sitting in my living room of my house and someone came to the door. My mom was there and looked real quick and said it look like it is someone from the Mormons. As I looked real quick I realized it was not a Mormon rather it was my close friend Tom