Summary: Jeremiah 23:29 Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
FIRE AND HAMMER
Is not my word like as a fire? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
a [Is not my word like as a fire ... like a hammer] Two symbols of the Word of God:
1. Like a fire, a great purifier which destroys all that is false and leaves only the genuine metal.
2. Like a hammer which rouses and strengthens the life and conscience, crushing everything that is evil within the heart. See Twelve Symbols of the Word of God.
Twelve Symbols of the Word of God
1. A hammer to convict (Jeremiah 23:29)
2. A fire to refine (Jeremiah 23:29)
3. A mirror to reflect (James 1:23)
4. Seed to multiply (1 Peter 1:23)
5. A laver to cleanse (Ephes. 5:26)
6. A lamp to guide (Psalm 119:105)
7. Rain and snow to refresh (Isaiah 55:10)
8. A sword to cut (Hebrews 4:12; Ephes. 6:17)
9. A bow for revenge (Habakkuk 3:9)
10. Gold to enrich (Psalm 19:7-10)
12. Food to nourish:
(1) Milk for babes (1 Peter 2:2)
(2) Bread for the hungry (Matthew 4:4)
(3) Meat for people (Hebrews 5:11-14)
(4) Honey for dessert (Psalm 19:10)
a[word of God] The Scriptures. See Twenty-one Names of the Bible.
Twenty-one Names of the Bible
5. The Lively Oracles (Acts 7:38)
6. The Law of Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms (Luke 24:25,44)
7. The Law of the Lord (Psalm 1:2)
9. The Book of the Lord (Isaiah 34:16)
11. The Sword of the Spirit (Ephes. 6:17)
12. The Old and New Testament (2 Cor. 3:6-15)
13. The First and Second Covenant (Hebrews 8:7)
14. The Word of Christ (Col. 3:16)
15. The Word of Life (Phil. 2:16)
16. The Scripture of Truth (Daniel 10:21)
17. The Word of Truth (2 Tim. 2:15)
18. The gospel of Christ (Romans 1:16)
19. The Word of Faith (Romans 10:8)
20. The Word of the Lord (2 Thes. 3:1)
21. The Word of Righteousness (Hebrews 5:13)
b[quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword]
Seven Facts about the Word of God
1.Quick. Greek: zao (GSN-2198), to live; to be full of vigor; be strong; powerful;
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
2 Tim. 4:1
I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
a[beasts] Greek: zoa (GSN-2226), living ones, or creatures; not the Greek: therion (GSN-2342), translated "beast" in Rev. 13:1-18; Rev. 14:9-11; Rev. 15:2; Rev. 16:10; Rev. 17:1-18; Rev. 19:19-20. They are literal angelic beings as described here (Rev. 4:6-8); and are distinguished from the redeemed elders (Rev. 4:9-11), ordinary angels (Rev. 5:1-12), seraphim (Isaiah 6:1-8), and cherubim (Ezekiel 1:4-28; Ezekiel 10:1-22).
This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind.