Summary: If you go fishing with Satan, you just might get hooked
I. SATANS HOOK. James 1:14-15.
1. Satan uses our own desires to put the bait on.
2. ILLUSTRATION OF KILLING A WOLF BY PAUL HARVEY.
3. EXPLAIN THE SIN PROCESS IN JAMES.
II. SATANS BAIT. Matthew 5:27-28.
NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT QUICK THOUGHT THAT IS DEALT WITH.
1. A minister and his family were walking down a street in Daytona Beach, Florida. Two women, wearing "skimpy" bikinis passed by. The minister remarked, "How disgusting!" His wife retorted, "If it is so disgusting, why do you look?" The 12 year old son spoke up with, "I think Dad likes to be disgusted." This was anonymously submitted as a true story told by a minister while preaching a sermon on the sin of the lust of the eye. Would you put your name on this one?
2. READ COLOSSIANS 3:5-7.
3. Talk about David and Bathsheba. READ2 Samuel 11:1-4.
III. HOW TO KEEP FROM BEING HOOKED. Matthew 5:29-30.
1. READ VERSES 29-30. The word for stumble or “offend thee” in the KJV is the same word that we get scandal or slander. It was the stick in a trap in which the bait is placed and causes the trap to be set when touched.
2. Flee. 1 CORINTHIANS 6:18 Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
3. Use Scripture as Jesus did when confronted by Satan.
4. Walk in the Spirit.
a. GALATIANS 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
5. Watch what you Watch and where you go.
a. PHILIPPIANS 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.
b. Cable television and videocassettes now make pornography available to nearly everyone. The recent book Vital Signs reports that of Christian households hooked into cable television, 23 percent subscribe to porno channels -- the same percentage as the nation as a whole. 1988.
We may not think that we are hurting anyone by what is in our mind as long as no one knows. God knows what we are thinking. PSALMS 44:20-21 If we had forgotten the name of our God, Or extended our hands to a strange god; 1 Would not God find this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart.
Look at the life of king David and see what ruin lust caused him. People are surprised when a minister falls into sin. They did not just fall into it, they had it in their hearts for along time.
Evangelist Jimmy Swaggart who had a moral collapse wrote in an article for the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate in 1987 that he had struggles with pornography since he was a kid. It finally caught up with him.
Jesus wants us to have pure hearts. A heart full of lust will not make it into God’s kingdom.
Not committing adultery in the physical sense is not enough. If our righteousness is going to exceed that of the scribes and the Pharisee’s, then we must rid our minds of lust!