Summary: Five Astonishing Facts
Isaiah Ch 52 v 13 - Ch 53 Here are Five Astonishing Facts In Isaiah 53 –
1. Here is An Astonishing Report – 1 Who hath believed our report? I. HE IS PICTURED AS A SERVANT, HE WAS PRUDENT. 52:13- "Behold my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted..."
As a servant, he was not a big hit with the Jewish world. Why was this true?
A. Because of His Promise (a KING.) V-13 " He shall be exalted, and extolled, and be very high."
B. Because of His Presentation (as a lowly babe.) V-2 "For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant...."
C. Because of His Poverty (as a servant) V-3,4 "He was despised,..... and we esteemed him not." V-3
II. HE IS PICTURED AS A SUBSTITUTE, HE WAS PUNISHED. (52:14)
V-14 says, "his visage was so marred more than any man."
A. By a Roman Whip. V-14, Beaten by a cat of nine tails. Used metal, glass, and even hooks on the ends of the leather thongs.
B. By a Rugged Cross.
C. By a Rebellious World.
III. HE IS PICTURED AS A SAVIOUR, HE WAS PROVIDED.
As he was born into the world, he was a Servant. As he hung on the cross, he was our Substitute. But, as he bowed his head and said, "It is finished." He became our Saviour. As Saviour he made provisions:
A. For our sorrows to be carried. V-4 "Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows:"
B. For our sickness to be cured. V-5 "..and with his stripes we are healed."
(1) He can heal the physical.
(2) He can heal the spiritual and emotional.
TRANSGRESSION: Open rebellion against God. INIQUITY: the inward corruption of the heart.
SIN: Outward acts of wrong doing.
C. For our sins to be cast away. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
"He-Jesus-was wounded for Willie Platt's transgressions-He was bruised for Willie Platt's iniquities"-
Captain "My boy, put your Captain's name in the verse and read it again."
"He was wounded for John Coutts' transgressions"; "He was bruised for John Coutts' iniquities," "The chastisement of John Coutts' peace was upon Him," "and by His stripes John Coutts is healed."
2. An Astonishing Rejection – 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Despised Him.:- 1. DESPITE HIS CONDESCENSION 2. DESPITE HIS REPUTATION 3. DESPITE HIS CRUCIFIXION 4. DESPITE HIS RESURRECTION 5. DESPITE HIS EXALTATION 6. DESPITE HIS REVELATION (Return)
3. An Astonishing Representation – 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
He died: Note :- The Reality Of His Death He died: The Reason For His Death He died Willingly The Reach Of His Death He died Willingly For Everybody The Result Of His Death He died Willingly For Everybody in Their Place. 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.