Summary: This message deals with the five final commands given to the Hebrew believers.
TEXT: Hebrews 13:1-17
TOPIC: “Five Final Commands”
I. EXPRESS LOVE (V.1-3)
A. Express it continually (v.1) (Rom. 12:10; 1 Pet. 1:22).
1. The expression of love to brothers and sisters in Christ is to be continual.
B. Express it through hospitality (v. 2; Rom 12:13).
1. Love is to be expressed to stangers
2. Love for strangers is expressed through being hospitable.
a. Some have entertained angels by doing so.
C. Express it to the outcast (v.3).
1. Express love to the prisoners
a. Notice the attitude of this expression of love: as bound with them.
2. Express love to those who are going through adversity
a. Notice the attitude of this expression of love: as being a part of their body, suffering the same thing (empathy).
II. KEEP THE FAMILY AS A SACRED TRUST (V.4).
A. God views marriage as a special relationship (v.4a).
1. Let marriage be held in honour (as of great price, precious , esteemed, especially dear).
2. and (let) their bed be undefiled
B. God will judge those who do not preserve the sacred nature of marriage (v.4b).
1. for God will judge the sexually impure (pornous) (heterosexual and homosexual) and adulterers.
a. Revelation 21:8 (KJV) But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
b. Ephesians 5:5 (KJV) 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
III. AVOID COVETOUSNESS (V. 5-6).
1. “Let your conduct be without covetousness.”
a. This is a command.
B. There is a contentment to be cultivated (v.5b).
1. arkeo = to be satisfied, to be contented
2. pareipsi = such things as one has, to have on hand.
C. There is a companion to aid us in holiness (v.5c-6; John 14:18).
1. Jesus himself has given the promise.
2. He will not leave or forsake us.
IV. ACCEPT THOSE WHO GOD SENDS TO SERVE YOU (V.7, 17).
A. Accept the men God sends to serve you (v.7; 1 Thessalonians 5:12-13).
1. There is to be an acceptance of those God sends to lead the fellowship of believers.
a. mnamoneuo = to be mindful of, to remember, to call to mind
b. hegoumenon = to go before, to be a leader, to rule, command, to have authority over
c. oitinen elalhsan umin ton logon tou theou = Those who have spoke the word of God to you.
a. on anatheorountes tain ekbasin tain anastrofain mimeisthe tain pistin = whose faith follow (imitate, mimic), considering the outcome of their manner of life (conduct, behaviour, deportment)
B. Accept the leadership of the men God sends to serve you (v.17).