Summary: From the Bible then, I will try to paint a picture of what it will be like five minutes after you die.
FIVE MINUTES AFTER YOU DIE
INTRODUCTION: I must assume two things before we begin:
A. That you believe there is a God. (You don't have to be a Christian to believe in God.
The "devils believe and tremble.")
B. That you believe this Bible is the true Word of God.
From the Bible then, I will try to paint a picture of what it will be like five minutes after you die.
I. ALL MEN DIE Hebrews 9:27 "It is appointed unto men once to die"
A. Read Eccl. 12:1-7
1. Evil days --- old age, affliction, and death.
We are headed toward those evil days.
I see it in you, I see it in me.
2. Body powers decline (Some of following is found in Dake's notes.)
a. Keepers of the house --- arms
b. House --- body
c. Strong men --- legs
d. Grinders --- teeth
e. Windows --- eyes --- dim, blind
f. Doors --- mouth and ears --- speaking and hearing slow
g. Rise up at the voice of a bird --- limited sleep
h. Afraid --- the end is near
i. Grasshopper a burden --- general weakness
j. Desire shall fail --- appetites and passions of life subside
k. Silver cord --- spinal cord
l. Golden bowl --- skull
m. Pitcher and Wheel --- heart and internal organs
B. Man Goeth to His Long Home v. 5
1. Soul and Spirit , Not the Body
a. Body --- "the dust returns to the earth"
James 2:26 --- "For as the body without the spirit is dead"
Adam when you sin " Ye shall surely die"
b. Soul and Spirit --- "return to God" v. 7
In the keeping of God. God will have the final say.
Read Eccl. 8: 8 " no man hath power over the spirit"
2. Two Possibilities --- No In Between ( I said earlier, you must believe the Bible.)
II. THINGS TO REMEMBER ( To be discussed later in more detail.)
A. Your Consciousness is Eternal.
B. Your Senses will function after Death.
C. Your Mental Abilities continue in a sharper measure.
III. FIVE MINUTES IN HEAVEN
Phil 1:21 "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
II Cor 5: 6-9 absent from the body (dead body) present with the Lord
A. Dying For the Saved
1. Paul ->II Tim 4:6 "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand."
2. Stephen --- Acts 7:55 "I see the heavens opened"
3. Peter --- II Peter 1:13-14 "knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle"
4. Augustus M. Toplady, author of the old hymn, Rock of Ages --- "O what delights! Who can fathom the joys of the third heaven? What a bright sunshine has been spread around me! I have not words to express it. I know it cannot be long now till my Savior will come for me, for surely no mortal man can live," and bursting into a flood of tears as he continued, "after the glories that God has manifested to my soul. All is light, light, light--the brightness of His own glory. O come, Lord Jesus, come; come quickly." (God's Plan for Man pgs 734-35 Dake)
B. Supposed Feelings and Events
1. "Am I dead?" --- A realization that death has taken place and you have actually left the body. An understanding that the actual moment of death, excluding the bodily pain on this side, was easy. "All the pain is gone. I feel newness." An awareness that the body and all of its limitations are left behind. YOU ARE FREE FROM THE FLESH!!!!
2. "Who are these beings?" Luke 16:22 " the beggar died, and was carried by the angels"
Angels escort my soul and spirit at light speed (or instantaneously) toward the north. Read Psalms 48:1-2 "on the sides of the north". Isa 14:13 "For thou has said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:" (Wouldn't it be strange if every compass was pointing towards Heaven.)
3. "Everything is getting bright. I hear music, I hear singing." Suddenly, you are ushered into the city of God. Now you understand why Isaiah said in 64:4 "For since the beginning of the world men have not heard neither perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him."
Paul repeated it in I Cor. 2:9-10 "But as it is written, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them hat love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit"