Summary: This second sermon in the series, addresses qualities that should be desired by a disciple of Jesus Christ to be developed in their life.
The Discipleship of All Believers – Five Natural Qualities of a Disciple (Week Two of Series) 11/09/2003
Introduction: We began our look last week at what is a disciple by looking at Mark 1:16- 18:
And as He walked by the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. Then Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men." They immediately left their nets and followed Him.
Remember what disciples are called to be:
1. Disciples are called to follow Christ and be fishers of men – Mark 1:16-18
2. Disciples are called to be a growing person, maturing in Christ – Ephesians 4:13-14
3. Disciples are Christian leaders called out to lead others in a new way.
a. The lost to a new life in Jesus Christ.
b. The new Christian to a fullness in Jesus Christ.
c. The mature Christian to greater walk with Jesus Christ.
Today, we are going to look at the five natural qualities of a disciple. Notice that these are natural qualities. These are not spiritual qualities or gifts. These are qualities that, with the help of God, we can develop in our lives. These are five qualities that are essential to being a disciple of Christ.
I. Five Essential Natural Qualities of a Disciple
A. A Disciple knows his God designated priorities.
1. His relationship with God and his obedience to God comes first!
Jesus said to him, " ’You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ "This is the first and great commandment. Matthew 22:37
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. "You shall have no other gods before Me. "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. Exodus 20:2-6
2. His relationship to his spouse is second only to his relationship with God!
Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. Genesis 2:24
3. His relationship with others comes second to these first two.
"And the second is like it: ’You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:38
B. A Disciple has discipline to follow Jesus every day.
Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. Mark 9:23
1. A Disciple dedicates himself daily to his following of Jesus.
2. A Disciple will deny his own self will to follow Jesus.
3. A Disciple will take up his Christian identity each day to follow Jesus.
4. A Disciple will discipline himself each day to learn from the teachings of Jesus.
C. A Disciple knows the reality of Jesus.