Summary: We are to direct people’s attention to Jesus. We have faith in the Person of Jesus, not faith in ’faith’ or our efforts. The more you know Him, the stronger your faith.
It is not an everyday affair that you see a miracle. These men just did and they were shocked.
• The people stared at Peter and John as if they were the ones who made this man walked (v.12).
• Peter directed the people’s attention to JESUS. He did not explain much about the miracle.
By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.
(1) Direct the People’s Attention to Jesus.
That’s the most important thing we do.
• Not to focus on the miracle, the crippled or the Christians who prayed, but on the Name of Jesus.
• The crowd was amazed and wanted answers – what happened, how it happened, why it happened, can it be done again.
• In his entire explanation, Peter only mentioned one Person – Jesus. He did it, the One whom you have rejected and crucified!
The miracle is a SIGN that point to Jesus. It is nothing by itself, without Christ.
• People usually are distracted by the signs – we go for the miracles, the prayer to say, or the method to use – but lose sight of the SOURCE or the CAUSE of it all – Jesus!
• When people look at creation, they end up worshipping the sun, the moon, the stars, but creation points to a Creator. We are to worship the Creator!
DISCERN THE SOURCE
Peter says, “You killed the author of life, but God raised him from the dead.”
• Man can do whatever they want, but God is going to HAVE THE FINAL SAY. He will do what He wants. He is uncaused – not influenced by anything or anyone.
• Jesus cannot be contained. He is not restricted in any way.
• He is alive today, Peter tells them, and He healed this man.
THE LORD IS STILL WORKING TODAY
He is working today, even though unseen by our naked eyes.
• He is the Source of the power behind the miracle.
• His power has not departed. It is as if Jesus was still around.
And He is, really, just that we cannot see Him with our eyes.
• We’ll see Him if we use our eyes of faith.
• Peter says, “In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” That’s seeing with eyes of faith.
• If He is still alive and present, then acknowledge His presence and engage Him. Engage him in the issues of life.
• Pray in the Name of Jesus! That’s how we engage Him in life.
So point people to Christ. Not to a religion, theology or set of doctrines.
• Peter knows none of these, except Christ and His crucifixion.
• The crippled man was scanning the crowd for kind people who might be willing to drop something into his cup. Peter redirected him to Jesus.
• The crowd thought that Peter and John cured this man. And he redirected them to Jesus.
Our focus is on Jesus. Our focus needs to be set right.
• Jesus is the ultimate Source of our strength and our help in times of trouble.
Acts 3:16 - By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him, as you can all see.
Acts 3:19 - Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord…
(2) Place Your Faith in the Person of Jesus
By faith in the Name of Jesus… the faith that comes through him…
The emphasis is on Jesus. And this is what we need to remember.
It’s all about the faith you have in Jesus. Can you trust Him?
• The healing happens because this man has faith in Jesus. If you trust Him too, then times of refreshing will come.
• Peter took a lengthy time to tell them about Jesus. Nothing was mentioned about the miracle. How did it happen? What did he say that does it? How are we going to pray for healing?
Those aren’t important. It’s all about our faith in the Person of Jesus Christ.
DON’T PLACE OUR FAITH IN ‘FAITH’.
Sometimes we get carried away by the idea that a miracle happens because of faith, and began to focus on faith.
• Faith itself has no power. It is not faith that moves mountains, it is God.
• There is a big difference between having faith in faith and faith in God.
• The power that heals this man comes from Christ. Faith releases the power to execute God’s desire and will.