Summary: The Master’s Instruction carry with it specific Implications that we must follow
“FOLLOW THOU ME”
1. This command was meant primarily to call Peter to another locality.
2. As evidence of this, John followed the two.
3. In later life, Peter gave it spiritual significance
4. It is in THAT LIGHT, that we shall consider the command
The Master’s Instruction carries with it various implications to which we shall direct attention.
Body: The first implication that is imposed by this event is :
1. “Stand Not in Idleness”
a. In order to follow Christ, steps must be taken.
i. You’ve got to move to make a difference!
ii. These must be FORWARD Steps- in the direction of the leader.
iii. A follower of Christ is a most aggressive person!
2. “Turn not aside into worldliness”
a. Be not hinder by a great possession. (Mark 10: 17-22)
b. By a domestic duty (Luke 9: 59-60)
c. By a divided affection (Luke 9: 61-62)
d. We cannot follow two masters (Matt 6: 24)
3. “Lag not behind in fear”
a. There is a danger in lukewarmness
i. Peter followed from afar and was severely tempted (Luke 22 :54)
b. There is safety in nearness
i. John followed in nearness and was secure (John 10:27-28)
4. “Go not before me in presumption”
a. A follower must not precede his leader
b. In matters of presumption,
i. We should never worship in a manner that has no precept or example from the Bible
ii. We should perform no service without direction from the inspired Word.
1. II Jn 1:9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
5. “Depart not from me in Unbelief” (SEE Jno 6: 66ff)
a. Let not the lack of understanding hinder you
b. “We walk by FAITH and not by SIGHT 2 Cor 5:7”
6. “FOLLOW THOU ME” [VERSE 22]
a. Our primary concerns should be in ourselves, not another.
b. Let us be less curious about a fellow disciple; and more concerned about ourselves!
7. “FOLLOW THOU ME” Do you what to follow the Lord?
a. Let us go with Him to the Cross.
i. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. Rom 6:6
b. Let us follow Him through the depths and darkness of the tomb
i. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Rom 6:4
c. Let us follow him into newness of Life
d. Let us follow Him in
iii. In guilessness
iv. In unrevengefulness
1. 1 Pet 1:21-23
e. Let us follows Him to the regions of eternal glory!
i. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
ii. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. Col 3:3-4
8. “FOLLOW THOU ME”
a. be active
b. be aggressive
c. move ever-forward, not backward
d. not to the right, nor the left
· Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. Matt 4:19
· But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead. Matt 8:22
· Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Matt 16:24
· If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. Matt 19:21
· My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: John 10:27
1 Pet 2:21-24
21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
54 Then took they him, and led him, and brought him into the high priest’s house. And Peter followed afar off.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.