Summary: Jesus teaches us how to pray Patient, Persistent, and Passionate Prayers.
Following Christ in Prayer
• Jesus is our example, if we want to learn how to live our lives in a way that is pleasing to God, we must follow His teaching.
A. Men should always pray and never give up!
1. 1 Thess. 5:17 “Pray Continually” or “Pray without Ceasing”
2. We should be people whose spiritual lives are built upon regular, consistent prayer.
B. The widow never got frustrated.
1. She kept coming to him with requests.
2. She kept coming although he kept refusing.
A. Illustration Two people, equally qualified both apply for the same job. How does the employer decide which one gets the position? One simply submits an application while the other submits the application but follows up with visits and phone calls. Remember the old adage: “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.”
1. Jesus says if we ask we WILL receive.
2. He uses the example of an earthly parents giving to our children who ask.
C. The widow was persistent in her request and was noticed. The King stated, “She’s going to wear me out!”
A. Definition–American Heritage Dictionary
1. “Having intense feelings, showing or expressing strong emotions.”
2. Passion usually comes from deeply held convictions or out of a deep need.
B. Jesus’ Passionate Prayer.
2. Heb. 5:7 “7During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.”
C. The widow had a deeply held conviction.
1. She was passionate about her need.
2. “Justice against my adversary.”
• In our prayers we should be Patient–Persistent–Passionate following after the example of Jesus.
• When you pray are you following Christ in Prayer?
• If our prayers aren’t getting answered then we need to put them to the test.
2. Was it Persistent and Specific? Matt. 7:7a,11 7“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;” “11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
Jesus tells us in the last part of our text that His children who are Patient, Persistent and Passionate in prayer will get their answer!