Summary: Our worries divide the mind. Anxiety splits our energy between today’s priorities and tomorrows problems.
Following the Shepherd
Psalms 23: 2
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever. …NKJV
Luggage of Life
We need The Lord to help us lessen our burdens. If the lord is our Shepherd, we leave the burdens at his feet.
I shall not want: He takes us to the pasture of satisfaction supplying our needs
Illustration: The Symptoms
• It afflicts 70 million Americans and is faulted for 38,000 deaths each year.
• The condition annually cost the U.S. 70 billion worth of productivity
• Teens suffer from it as 64% of teen blame it for poor school performance.
• Middle aged face it and it is most severe between ages 30-40
• Over 50% of senior citizens face it often.
• Treatment is a wide range from herbal teas to heavy medication
Any idea what is the cause? Abuse? Divorce? Long Sermons?
Answer is Insomnia
Some times when I cannot sleep, I have move over closer to Rhonda and ask the brilliant question, Are you awake?
She would then say, Quite thinking about things and go to sleep.
Therefore, I quit thinking about things and started thinking about people. As I, though of people I thought about some of you and wondered what you were doing right then. I realized you were sleeping!
People with too much to do and too little sleep need a shepherd to help them carry the baggage of life’s weariness.
• One third of America is not sleeping enough
• 1910 sleep average 9 hr – 2000 sleep average 6.5 hr
• 30 tons of aspiring, sleeping pills and tranquilizers each day
• One third of America is dozing off at work, at school, while driving.
• Some even doze off during my sermons.
Burden of weariness:
Our bodies are tired but much more our souls are tired. Our mind, will and emotions are exhausted and cannot increase in effectiveness for the kingdom of God due to all the weariness we have running the kingdom of man.
Only one other living creature has as much trouble sleeping as we do.
• Dog Doze
• Bears Hibernate
• Cats nap
The only other creation of God that cannot sleep is:
• simple minded
• In addition, very slow.
(No not a husband on Saturday morning)
For sheep to sleep everything needs to be right:
• No treats
• no hunger
• no thirst
• No tension in the flock
• No bugs in the air.
Because sheep cannot find safe and adequate they need a shepherd
We need a shepherd also
Ps 23:2… He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters
The sheep’s job is to keep our eyes on the shepherd. With our eyes on the shepherd, we will be able to get some real rest.