Summary: In I Peter 2:2, the Apostle Peter by inspiration of the Holy Spirit says, “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby” The Bible is “Food for the Soul” and Peter is implying that Christians should feed upon the Word as
FOOD FOR THE SOUL
INTRODUCTION: In I Peter 2:2, the Apostle Peter by inspiration of the Holy Spirit says, “As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby” The Bible is “Food for the Soul” and Peter is implying that Christians should feed upon the Word as a means of spiritual growth. Let’s consider the Bible as “Food for the Soul.”
I. THE BIBLE, AS FOOD FOR THE SOUL, IS HEALTHY.
1. Because it tells us that the believer shall not walk in darkness; John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
Matthew 5:14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.
2. Because it tells us that the believer shall never hunger; John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
3. Because it tells us that the believer shall never be defeated by death; John 11:25,26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Romans 8:38, 39. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
II. THE BIBLE, AS FOOD FOR THE SOUL, STRENGTHENS THE BELIEVER.
1. As it draws him nearer to God; Psalm 73:28 But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.
2. As it emphasizes the promises of God; Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
3. As it reveals the blessings of Heaven; II Corinthians 4:17,18 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
III. THE BIBLE, AS FOOD FOR THE SOUL, PROMOTES GROWTH IN GRACE.
1. By revealing the things that we need to add to our faith.
2. By revealing the blessings that come to the believer who abides in Christ; John 15:4,5. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
3. By revealing the things that we need to avoid; I Timothy 6:20, 21 O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith.
IV. THE BIBLE, AS FOOD FOR THE SOUL, IS SUFFICIENT FOR THE CHRISTIAN’S SPIRITUAL DIET. It furnishes
1. Doctrine for the Christian’s spiritual diet; II Timothy 3:16,17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2. Prophecy to the Christian’s spiritual diet; II Peter 1:19-21 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
V. THE BIBLE, AS FOOD FOR THE SOUL, IS ESSENTIAL TO LIFE.
1. The Lord Jesus emphasized that man should not live by bread alone but by every word which proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
2. The Patriarch Job emphasized that he esteemed the Words of the Lord’s mouth more than his necessary food; Job 23:12.I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food.