Summary: How we should conduct ourselves for Christ’s sake
EPH.4:29-32 "FOR CHRIST’S SAKE"
INTRO: Eph.4 teaches the walk and service of the believer. The Christian walk and service are not according to man made rules or standards. It does not mean that we are supposed to sign a pledge that we will not go here or there, or do this or that. We are to walk worthy of the name Christian. In us, Jesus must find His earthly walk. He lives in our bodies, He walks in our bodies, and we are the only Bible the world reads. We present the only Christ this world will ever know.
If the world does not see Jesus in us, then we are not walking worthy of the Christ who lives in us! * In Bible language, He dwells in us and walks in us. 2 Cor.6:16 "God hath said, I will dwell in them and walk in them and they shall be my people." We believers are the body of Christ!
We represent Him in this earth, and by our actions we express to others what Christ is.
They measure Christ by the way that we walk. * We prove to others by the way that we walk, that we have had a change of heart, and that we are a new creature in Christ.
Because we are sons of God, and because we are the temple of the Holy Spirit, we should bring glory and honor to God. We are to endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Look at vss.1-3. "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk ....................."
With these verses lets go to John 17:20-23. Lets hear the cry of Jesus as He begs for oneness in the body of the Church. Surely it must grieve the heart of God when He looks down upon His people and sees the existing division and strife among Christians;
* whisperings, backbitings, and sowing discord among brethren, God hates!
There is perfect unity in the God-head; perfect oneness in the Trinity. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost are one in providing, planning, and in the working of our salvation.
We should demonstrate in our daily living the unity that is demonstrated in the Trinity.
* It grieves the heart of God when brethren fail to dwell together in harmony and unity.
Ps.133:1 "Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity."
There should be no division among Bible believing Christians, and if the Holy Spirit has His way, there will be no divisions whatsoever!
In vs.14, Paul begs the Ephesians not to be like children! This is good sound advise and is badly needed in our churches today. The average church has entirely too many spiritual babies still being bottle fed. Paul told the Corinthians they should be eating meat, but were still on milk.
WHY? Because they were carnal! They were divided, criticizing, and backbiting!
* One declared, "Apollos baptized me." Another said, "Cephas baptized me." They were fighting among themselves, therefore they had no time in which to fight the devil!
* Churches do the same thing today! Turn to Titus 3:3-4 "For we ourselves also were ............."
We are changed now! Now lets get into the text of our message, "For Christ’s Sake."
(1) LET NO CORRUPT COMMUNICATION PROCEED OUT OF YOUR MOUTH! V.29
* We are to put away foolish and worthless talk! We are not to say things that would deny the
new man within nor misrepresent the new creation! Our conversation should always be such
as to edify, strengthen, and to build up, never to tear down and hinder other Christians or stand
in the way of sinners!
A) Making sly remarks to others about your brother or sister in Christ is dangerous!
* You’re hurting yourself! There’s people here that don’t believe in saying bad things about
others and you may go up to the wrong person and destroy yourself!
B) We are always to be ministering grace to the hearers! Corrupt communications come from
the old nature! The new nature produces holy communication! * Some need to pray this:
* Ps.141:3 "Set a watch, O Lord before my mouth, keep the door of my lips."
* Speak that which is good. There’s a little good in everybody!
(2) GRIEVE NOT THE SPIRIT! V.30 * Grieve not means "pain not, to cause sorrow or grief"
* We are to put away all things that grieve the Holy Spirit of God.* Remember, the Holy Ghost
dwells in us and He is listening to everything we say and is taking note of everything we do!
A) All that is said, all that is done contrary to the holiness of Christ, and to the righteousness