Summary: This is a sermon about something we all do, it’s about listening. Though we all listen many are no effective listerners at all. God has something to say and we must listen.
“For Once Listen To What God Says”
#1) How well do YOU listen?
A) God teaches in His word that when we do something we should do it to the very best of our ability.
1) God teaches in His word that we should do the best we can in all areas of life for His glory.
2) Today I will be preaching on how well we listen.
3) Franklin Roosevelt, who often endured long receiving lines at the White House, complained that no one really paid any attention to what was said. One day, during a reception, he decided to try an experiment. To each person who passed down the line and shook his hand, he murmured, "I murdered my grandmother this morning." The guests responded with phrases like, "Marvelous! Keep up the good work. We are proud of you. God bless you, sir." It was not till the end of the line, while greeting the ambassador from Bolivia, that his words were actually heard. Nonplussed, the ambassador leaned over and whispered, "I’m sure she had it coming."
4) We have all from time to time fit into both categories as the one not being listened to and the one not listening.
5) We cannot have “good relationships” unless we are able to effectively communicate.
6) The truth is that many of us are unskilled at communication especially in the listening department.
7) You cannot effectively communicate if you will not effectively listen.
8) The key to any good relationship is effective communication, which includes listening.
9) This is true in our relationships with one another and its especially true concerning our relationship with God.
B) Acts 7:51-54 There are two main reasons that a person doesn’t hear or listen…
1) The first is very simple and we are all prone to it, we are simply distracted or preoccupied with thoughts.
2) The second reason is what we see in our text when Stephen is PREACHING to these “stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and EARS”.
3) We don’t like what we are hearing because what we hear draws conviction.
4) As Gods children we must listen to God effectively, let me give you the three “Cs” of communication.
5) We must comprehend and understand what Gods saying…
6) We must have confidence and trust in what He says…
7) And then we must allow what God says to change us; this is EFFECTIVELY HEARING GODS WORD.
8) And this is accomplished through CONVICTION.
9) Conviction= made up of 2 Latin words meaning “CAUSE TO SEE”.
10) The Holy Spirit through conviction communicates to us and causes us to “SEE”.
C) Acts 7:51 To resist conviction is nothing more than refusing to see and hear Gods direct instruction.
1) These men refused to see the truth concerning the conviction that God had communicated to them.
2) We need to hear exactly what Gods word says and we need to then be obedient to the conviction of His Spirit.
3) The men in our text were men who had never allowed the conviction of Gods word to lead them to salvation.
4) But what about those of us who have, there are reasons that we do not hear or listen…
5) Mark 4:18-19 Because we allow the cares and lust of this world to control us…
6) We allow things and people to influence us more than God Himself…
7) Understand one thing this morning God never contradicts His own word…
8) If it says it believe it OR ELSE the things of this world will choke us until we become unfruitful.
9) Proverbs 22:17-19 All that matters is what Gods word says, all that matters is “HIS KNOWLEDGE”.
10) You will only gain His knowledge when YOU start listening to His word and STOP…
D) Quenching the Spirit of God when He communicates to you.
1) 1 Thessalonians 5:19 “Quench not the Spirit”
2) When we as His children fail to listen we communicate to God that we will pursue life through our own resources.
3) If you think you’ve got the best way for you figured out and it’s contrary to Gods word think again.
4) If you cannot find a scripture to support it then it’s contrary to His word.
5) Jeremiah 10:23-24 God needs to be the one directing our steps and that’s exactly why He sent His Holy Spirit.
6) I’m begging you to listen to Gods word, to allow His spirit to direct and to take your OPPINION out of the equation.
7) John 16:7-14 God specifically sent His Spirit to guide us into ALL truth.
8) IF you allow Him He will guide you to where you need to be not where you want to be.
9) He is here to teach us, guide us, and rebuke us so that we can have His peace and joy.