Summary: God has given us every gift we need to function as the Body of Christ.
Spiritual Gifts Series # 2
1. Illus...One word to describe the Corinthian Church and it is not charismatic, as some might think because of its emphasis on the gifts of the Spirit, but rather problematic.
a. Some of their problems were such things as: divisiveness, disorder, abuse at the Lord’s Supper, factions, disrespect for apostolic authority, disregard for weaker brothers / or sisters, marital problems, law suit among believers, immorality, ... just to name a few.
2. The answer that Paul gives can also be described in one word and that is charisma ( cari,sma ), meaning a gift of divine grace or a spiritual endowment. The root word is charis ( ca,ris) meaning the divine influence upon the heart and its reflection in the life.
3. In simple terms they needed the Holy Spirit to be reflected in the life of the church and not their carnal flesh.
Trans...Paul begins by telling the Corinthians that its okay to use your head when it comes to spiritual gifts. As a pastor once said: “Even a woodpecker knows enough to use its head.”
I. Remember What You Came Out of. (vss 1-3)
A. “Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware.”
1. Be understanding or discerning of what is going on within your very community of believers.
2. Don’t be slothful! Be watchful, be discerning, be understanding. Use your heads.
B. Remember when you were pagans?
1. Do you remember the Hellenistic culture from which you came out of and how they practiced many religions, and worshipped many dumb idols (false gods)? My own paraphrase!
2. How easily you were led astray!
3. Some of those practices included estatic experiences, sensual pleasures, and what would seem to be the miraculous.
4. False experiences are not new on the scene.
5.The starting place of relativism is divorcing experience from any absolute truth. Putting more faith in the experience itself separate from God’s word.
6. Any experience must pass the test of sound doctrine based on God’s word.
7. Any spirit that does not produce holiness in our lives you don’t need it and the church certainly doesn’t.
8. Use your head! The Holy Spirit will make you holy.
9. Illus...Any person claiming to be a Christian and takes God’s name in vain isn’t connected with the Holy Spirit. Bad fruit is not produced by the True Vine.
10. Use your head and don’t be uninformed! The Holy Spirit will always work for the common good of the community of the saints.
Trans...Don’t be uninformed but realize there are a variety of gifts given for the common good.
II. Realize The Variety of God’s Gifts (vss 4-10)
A. There are varieties (KJV - diversities) of gifts
( carisma,twn) .
1. These are the spiritual endowments that places upon the heart and reflects outward into the Body of believers.
2. Paul lists them in vss 8-10. Word of wisdom; word of knowledge; faith; the gift of healing; the effecting of miracles; prophesy; discernment of spirits; the gift of languages and the ability to interpret languages.
B. There are varieties of ministries (diakoniw/n).