Summary: God created human beings with an inbred desire to be productive and successful. Here King David shares his formula for success.
Formula for Success
13 Then shalt thou prosper, if thou takest heed to fulfil the statutes and judgments which the LORD charged Moses with concerning Israel: be strong, and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed. 14 Now, behold, in my trouble I have prepared for the house of the LORD an hundred thousand talents of gold, and a thousand thousand talents of silver; and of brass and iron without weight; for it is in abundance: timber also and stone have I prepared; and thou mayest add thereto. 15 Moreover there are workmen with thee in abundance, hewers and workers of stone and timber, and all manner of cunning men for every manner of work. 16 Of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise therefore, and be doing, and the LORD be with thee. 1 Chron. 22:13-16 (KJV)
1. King David was one of the most prosperous men in all of history. (NOT by accident.)
2. God had a plan for his life and he had fulfilled it.
3. Even though his life was not without major hiccups God bragged about David throughout the rest of the OT.
4. David has just given Solomon a charge to build the Temple and some of the best advice ever given to a son.
6. David knew that God had a plan for his son’s life and that plan was for his success.
Let’s learn from the “Formula for Success” that David gave his son Solomon. (Ingredients)
1- If You Want True Success – Be Careful to Obey God. (v. 13 a)
1- Obedience to God is not just something to do, it is the best thing to do!!!!
2- David knew the benefits of having God on your side in life!
1. As a young shepherd he had killed a lion and bear.
2. God had delivered Goliath into his hand.
3. God delivered him from Saul.
4. His life is one of the most exciting in all of Scripture. (Read it!)
3- David knew the enormous costs of disobedience as well.
1. Bathsheba – Uriah – Nathan - dead son.
2. His children. (Amnon & Tamar – Absolom – Adonijah)
3. Numbering Israel. (1 Chron. 21)
2- If You Want Success – “Be Strong” - Be BOLD. (v. 13b)
1- Be firm, stout, prevailing.
2- David didn’t say “try to be” he said, “BE STRONG”!
3- If You Want Success – Be Very Courageous. (v. 13c)
1- Goliath’s make most people cowards, he made David famous.
2- Courage is the ability to face danger, difficulty, uncertainty, or pain without being overcome by it.
4- If You Want Success – Face the Future with Hope. (v. 13 d) [Not "Dread"]
1- Dread never brings anything good!
2- Extreme worry about the future = paralyzes w/ terror.
3- Even in your every day job, much less your spiritual life!
5- If You Want Success – Face the Present with Faith. (v. 13e)
1- Don’t be “dismayed” = shattered, broken.
2- Don’t fear the future #4, and don’t fear the present no matter what it brings!!!
6- If You Want Success – Learn to Add to What Others Have Done. (v. 14)
1- Learn all you can from the experience of others.
2- Then add to it – improve it, don’t settle for someone else’s experience!!!
VISUALIZE: What has God given you a vision to do?
ACTION: 1- “Arise … be Doing” (v. 16b)
2- “The Lord will be with you.” (v. 16c)