Summary: In the same way that Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit, He wants to fill us with the Spirit so we can transform people¡¦s lives today.
FRESH FIRE FROM HEAVEN!
OPENING: DO YOU NEED FRESH FIRE FROM HEAVEN?
“And the fire on the altar shall be kept burning on it; it shall not be put out.” (Lev. 6:12).
INTRO TO TOPIC:
The Bible tells us “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.” (Acts 10:38).
• Jesus said, “It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper (the Holy Spirit) will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.” (John 16:7).
• John the Baptist said: “Jesus will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” (Luke 3:16).
THE BIG IDEA: In the same way that Jesus was anointed with the Holy Spirit, He wants to fill us with the Spirit so we can transform people’s lives today.
1. JESUS HAS COMMISSIONED US TO GO AND DO THE STUFF:
A. First the Twelve: “Then He called His twelve disciples together and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure diseases. He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.” (Luke 9:1-2).
“And as you go, preach, saying, ’The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matthew 10:7-8).
B. Next, Jesus sent out the Seventy (see Luke 10:1-2,9).
C. Now, Jesus sends out all of His disciples: “And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues… they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” (Mark 16:15-18).
• If you are a disciple of Jesus, then Jesus wants YOU to go into the world with His power!
2. JESUS WANTS TO FILL US WITH HIS POWER:
“And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, which, He said, you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.” (Acts 1:4-5).
• That Greek word baptismo means to be immersed in the Holy Spirit.
• It’s like the process a cucumber goes through to become a pickle.
• It’s so important for us to soak in His presence for extended periods of time!
• To be anointed = to have the oil of the Holy Spirit smeared all over us!
KEY TEXT: “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” (Acts 1:8).
WHAT HAPPENED ON THE DAY OF PENTECOST:
“And when the day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.” (Acts 2:1-4).