Summary: Some characteristics of true friendship as revealed in the word of God.
September 21, 2002
A. Story of David and Jonathan
2. Story of devotion, faithfulness, bravery, and commitment amidst strife, hatred, and jealousy.
3. David’s lamentation over Jonathan’s death
a. 2 Samuel 1:25-26, “How are the mighty fallen in the midst of the battle! Jonathan is slain upon thy high places. I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: Very pleasant hast thou been unto me: Thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.”
B. Story of Naomi and Ruth
1. Ruth 1:1-22
2. Naomi, Elimelech, and their two sons, Mahlon and Kilion
3. Because of famine in Bethlehem, they moved to Moab
4. After a while, the Elimelech passed away.
5. The two sons married Moabite women named Orpah and Ruth
6. Several years later, both sons died also.
7. Famine in Bethlehem had passed and Naomi wanted to go back to her homeland.
8. Orpah returned to her people, but Ruth, struck a deal with Naomi.
9. Ruth 1:14-17, “Then they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her. And she said, "See, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods; return after your sister-in-law." But Ruth said, "Entreat me not to leave you or to return from following you; for where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God; where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if even death parts me from you."
A. Importance of Friendship—Quotable quotes from famous and not so famous people.
1. Euripides, Greek play write, “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.”
2. Emily Dickenson, “My friends are my estate.”
3. Woodrow Wilson, “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.”
4. Charles Caleb Colton, “True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it is lost.”
B. Principles of Friendship
a. Proverbs 18:24, “A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.”
b. ABC’s of friendship
1. Accepts you as you are
Believes in you
Calls you just to say ~Hi~
Doesn’t give up on you
Envisions the whole of you
(even the unfinished parts)
Forgives your mistakes
Invites you over
Keeps you close at heart
Loves you for who you are
Makes a difference in your life
Picks you up
Quiets your fears
Raises your spirits
Says nice things about you
Tells you the truth when you need to hear it
Walks beside you
Yells (gently) when you won’t listen and
Zaps you back to reality (OUCH!)
c. Friendship for wrong reasons
i. Proverbs 14:20, “The poor is hated even of his own neighbour: but the rich hath many friends.”
ii. Proverbs 19:4, “Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour.”
iii. Proverbs 19:6, “Many will intreat the favour of the prince: and every man is a friend to him that giveth gifts.”