Summary: Funeral service for a great Christian man.
Edgar prior to being admitted in the Greenbrier Manor as he would leave the church Edgar would shake my hand and always say, “Yes” and go on home him and Virginia.
I do not to this day know what Edgar meant or maybe I do .“Jesus is the Yes - the divine Yes. A great many people today would like to choose Christianity, but they think it is a No to living.” Edgar probably was saying, to say Yes to God is to say Yes to living.
E. Stanley Jones wrote a book entitled “The Divine Yes” In Christ the answer is always Yes . Edgar said Yes to God many many years ago.
1. What was Edgar saying He was saying Yes God is Awesome
A. God is awesome because God gives Peace to the storms of life (peace be still) Jenny hang on
B. God is awesome because God is Enlightenment during the hours of darkness
C. God is awesome because God graces us with comfort in sorrow
The Psalmist says 1God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble
2. Edgar was saying Yes, God is always available
A. God was available for Abram
• Gen151After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield,A your very great reward.B"
B. Yes, God was available to help those in adversity
• Psalm 32:6 surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
3. Edgar was saying Yes God is Good all God does is good
A. God is good Consider the following text from the Psalmist 25
• 8Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. 9He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.
B. God even told Moses Good-----ness shall Passover you
• Exodus 33:19And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
C. Nahum claimed Yes God is Good in times of trouble
• Nahum 1: 7The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him,
D. Luke writes Yes God is Good because God Provides
• Acts 14:17He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy."
4. Now beloved Edgar experiences the Divine Yes.
A. Yes, the Psalmist was right about the valley The Divine Yes is with me
• Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil for thou art with me
B. Yes, Death has closed my eyes, but the Divine Yes opened them
• Job said it this way: 25I know that my RedeemerC lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.D 26And after my skin has been destroyed, yetE inF my flesh I will see God; 27I myself will see him with my own eyes--I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!
C. Yes, The Divine Yes has swallowed death, wiped tears, and removed disgrace