Summary: Galatians 2:1-10, Salvation withouth the law
Salvation Without The Law
Some state statutes at DMV.ORG …
1) Tennessee, for example, has a law that bans shooting game, other than whales, from moving vehicles. Apparently, this law was authored during an unusually high tide or after too many dizzying spins on a Tilt-a-Whirl at Dollyworld. Chances
of any whale finding its way into Tennessee via the Cumberland River are about as likely as snow at the equator.
* It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
* It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street as long as a lantern is attached to the front of your car.
* Driving barefoot is illegal.
* It is illegal to tie a dog to the roof of your car.
* It is illegal for a person to blare the horn on a vehicle at any place where cold drinks or sandwiches are served after 9 p.m.
* Any woman dressed in a housecoat is prohibited from driving a car.
* It is illegal in San Francisco to buff or dry your car with used underwear.
* No unoccupied vehicle may exceed 60 miles per hour.
* In Marietta, Georgia, it is illegal to spit from a moving car or bus, but is okay from a moving truck.
* In Evanston, Illinois, it is unlawful to change clothes while inside a car with the curtains drawn, except during a fire.
* If you stop for ice cream while driving, be aware that it is considered unlawful to transport an ice cream cone in your back pocket.
* You will be ticketed if you drive with a gorilla in the backseat of your car.
* It is illegal to cross state lines, regardless if you are walking or driving, with a duck on your head. And, if you’re crossing into Wisconsin, the law also applies to chickens.
* You cannot ride a motorcycle without a shirt.
* It is illegal to drive a camel on the highway.
12) North Carolina
* In Dunn, North Carolina, it is illegal to drive on a sidewalk.
* In Oxford, Ohio, authorities will ticket you if you consecutively drive around the town square more than 100 times.
* It is considered illegal to read a comic book while driving.
* It is illegal to pump your own gas.
15) West Virginia
* It is perfectly legal, for road maintenance purposes, to scavenge road kill.
* Outrageous laws, aren’t they?
* Some were relevant to the times in which they were written.
* We would be very resistant to anyone attempting to force many of those laws upon us.
* In Paul’s day, there was a group that took pleasure in forcing irrelevant laws upon Christians.
* It made no sense to Paul to force the Mosaic law on a Christian.
* Jesus had changed the heart of those who had received Him,… there was no need to place the bondage of the law upon them.
I. Paul’s friends v. 1-3
A. Gentile – Titus
* uncircumcised Gentile believer
* he was a test case
* His conversion stood as evidence that one could be saved apart from the works of the law
* BKC – "To impose circumcision on Titus would be to deny that salvation was by faith alone and to affirm that in addition to faith there must be obedience to the Law for acceptance before God"
* Paul did not yield for a moment!
Act 15:1-10 And certain men which came down from Judea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. (2) When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question. (3) And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phoenicia and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren. (4) And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them. (5) But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. (6) And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. (7) And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. (8) And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; (9) And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. (10) Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?