Summary: Galatians 3:10-14, Cursed by law or blessed by faith
Cursed By Law Or Blessed By Faith ?
* A misunderstanding of the OT law is not unique to the Pharisees of Jesus’ day.
* They knew the OT law and even memorized it but they misunderstood the purpose of that law.
* Today, there are millions of people who really have no idea what the true purpose of the law is.
* They are like…
Humor- Bathroom Scales
Two youngsters were closely examining bathroom scales on display at the department store.
"Have you ever seen one of these before?" one asked.
"Yeah, my mom and dad have one," the other replied.
"What’s it for?" asked the first boy.
"I don’t know," the second boy answered. "I think you stand on it and it makes you get mad."
* Paul was one of the best unsaved men that ever was; as touching the righteousness of the law, blameless,
-- When it came to external obedience to the law, Paul was, in his own eyes, without fault!
* Paul believed that his strict obedience to the law was his ticket to heaven.
* He had a law righteousness…
Phil 3:3-6 for we are the circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God, and glory in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh: (4) though I myself might have confidence even in the flesh: if any other man thinketh to have confidence in the flesh, I yet more: (5) circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; (6) as touching zeal, persecuting the church; as touching the righteousness which is in the law, found blameless.
* Law righteousness makes you feel good about yourself.
- It says, "Look what I have achieved"
M. Henry – [Paul] thought himself [to be] healthful, sound, and whole, when [in reality] he was diseased and full of wounds, bruises, and sores, from head to foot; he lived in the utmost peace and tranquility, without the least ruffle and uneasiness, free from any terror or gloom, and in perfect security, being in sure and certain hope of eternal life; and [he] concluded if ever any man went to heaven he certainly should, since, as he imagined, he lived a holy and righteous life, free of all blame, and even to perfection;
* The Jews sought a righteousness by the works of the law.
Rom 9:30-33 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. (31) But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. (32) Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; (33) As it is written, Behold, I lay in Zion a stumblingstone and rock of offense: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
* Abraham illustrates salvation apart from works of law
* The effects of the law are proof righteousness is apart from works of law
* What Jesus did on cross is proof righteousness is apart from works of the law
I. The law brings a curse, not a blessing. V. 10a
* The Judaizers were teaching a blessing comes from the law, but Paul was teaching the opposite.