Summary: This Bible teaching is a verse by verse study of Genesis Chapter One.
GENESIS #1: IN THE BEGINNING
“In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1).
• We are going to begin a chapter by chapter study of the Book of Genesis today.
THE IMPORTANCE OF GENESIS:
“In a very real sense, the book of Genesis is the most important book in the world; for it is the foundation upon which all the other sixty-five books of God’s written Word have been based… The greatest doctrine of all – the special creation of all things by the eternal, self-existent God – is revealed in the very first chapter of Genesis, the foundation of all foundations…
It is hardly surprising, therefore, that the greatest attacks on the Bible have been directed against the integrity and authority of Genesis. Since the only alternative to creation is evolution, these attacks are ultimately based on evolutionism, the assumption that this complex universe can somehow be explained apart from the infinite creative power of God.” 1 (Henry Morris).
• Why is it important to study the OT Book of Genesis? Because what we believe about our origins will affect our lives today and our destiny tomorrow.
• If we believe in the theory of evolution, that life began billions of years ago by accident:
o We are merely complex animals with no ultimate purpose or meaning in life.
o Our final destiny is to become worm-food, rotting in the grave.
• If we believe in the Biblical account of creation:
o We are a special and unique creation of God and life has great purpose.
o Our final destiny is to live forever with God in the paradise of Heaven.
INTRO TO THE BOOK OF GENESIS:
Genesis – Greek geneseos, which means birth, genealogy, or origin.
Written around 1440 BC, sometime after the Exodus from Egypt.
Genesis is the first of the five books that make up the Pentateuch.
Also called the Books of Law, or the Torah.
“Genesis reveals that humans were divinely created, that they suffered a fall, and that God proceeded to provide redemption… The account then focuses upon the origin and growth of the nation of Israel which God chose to fulfill a key role in implementing His plan of redemption.” 2
Overview: Of the 50 Chapters of Genesis:
1. 1:1-2:3 The Creation of the heavens, the earth, and life on the earth
2. 2:4-25 The Creation of Mankind
3. 3:1-24 The Fall of Mankind
4. 4:1-5:32 The Pre-flood World
5. 6:1-10:32 Noah and the Flood
6. 11:1-9 Tower of Babel – confusion of languages
7. 11:10-32 Genealogy of Abraham
8. 12:1-23:20 The Story of Abraham
9. 24:1-26:35 The Story of Isaac
10. 27:1-35:29 The Story of Jacob
11. 36:1-43 The Story of Esau
12. 37:1-50:26 The Story of Joseph
DAY ONE OF CREATION:
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1).
• In the beginning, GOD. God has always existed. Here we see the beginning of time.
• Elohim = A plural word that points to the Tri-unity of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
• Historic Christian Creeds declare: We believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth. This is a powerful statement of what we believe about who God is.