Summary: Introduction to verse by verse study of the Book of genesis
·Book of Genesis not only the first book of the Bible but it is also the first revelation of God to mankind.
·Genesis (Bible in total) give us an understanding of the invisible things of God, that started and operates this world.
Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
·Paul mentions here that His invisible attributes, His power and His divine has been clearly seen. (In nature)
·The Bible (written word) however shows us the mechanics of all this that we can see.
Verse 1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork *.
Verse 7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
·Creation teaches us that God exists, that He is awesome and wise
·But it doesn’t teach us that God loves!
Example. Nature disaster – dead where is the love in it all?
·That is what the Word brings ---- it’s a love letter!
It’s interesting to notice that :
·Genesis is quoted from over 200 times in the NT.
·In fact chapters 1-11 is quoted more than 100 times in the NT.
·It’s not just mentioned but you’ll find it being quoted word for word over 165 in the NT.
So we can conclude that it was important to Jesus and the Apostles.
Let’s see what Jesus says about Moses:
28. For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29. Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30. And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31. And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
(Prophesy) Know One did come from dead – Jesus – He was rejected.
But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
· Genesis is the foundation of our Christian Faith.
· Understanding of this book is critical crucial for the Child of God.
Moses - 2 Chron 30:16 And they stood in their place after their manner,
according to the law of Moses the man of God: the priests sprinkled
the blood, which they received of the hand of the Levites.
2 Chron 35:12 And they removed the burnt offerings, that they might
give according to the divisions of the families of the people *, to offer
unto the LORD, as it is written in the book of Moses. And so did they
with the oxen.
We know that Genesis means beginning
· In fact it is the beginning of the universe, man, sin, redemption, language.
· We can also say it’s a book of first’s
Here we find the 1st day’s, first animals
(question what’s first egg or chicken?),