Summary: This is a "State of the Church" address given to encourage a congregation toward forward-thinking.
* If we're not careful we can spend a lot of time looking backwards at
* And /or a lot of time looking at
What will be...
* Religious people do this
The good old days
God bring revival on the verge of revival
* Parents do this
Longing for the infant days
Looking to the out-of-the-house days
* Business people do this
Look back at where they started
Look up to where they are going
* If we're not careful we can be so busy
* WE MISS OUR NOW!
* My now:
o Releases me from the past
o Prepares me for the future
* God is telling Joshua
- NOW my servant is dead
- NOW get ready
* Your NOW is getting you ready for your destiny
* Have you ever asked someone for directions...
* ...and you know right away they didn't know.
EXAMPLE: Back roads of Ohio
- Looking for my destination, but my NOW isn't helping me
- You go slower
- You miss landmarks
- You don't enjoy the journey
- You waste time
- You miss intersections (decisions)
* Because that's what happens
o When your NOW is not right
o Where are you getting directions NOW?
* I got a GPS -- in LA
o It always says turn NOW
o Therefore not missing my destination
o You don't know if they know where they're going
o JD & I
o You could be asking someone who's never been where you're trying to go
o To get you there
Mad at JD
o Foreign country - honeymoon
* Maybe it's time to get on the bus.
o It's interesting about a bus
* On the side of a bus
* In big letters -- digital -- painted -- sign
* It has its destination
o Doesn't tell you the name of the driver
o Doesn't tell you how many people are on the bus
o Doesn't tell you what kind of music the bus driver likes
* It does tell you the destination!
* And you shouldn't get on the bus
* If you don't want to go where it's going
EXAMPLE: As a little kid I got on the wrong bus because a kid was going to beat me up.
Reaching your destination might mean a fight!
* The taxi will take you wherever you want to go.
* I want you to know...
o Citipoint isn't a taxi
o It's a bus with a destination
* Some people get on -- some people get off
* He was -- is -- is to come
* The Lord says, I am Alpha and Omega
* Beginning & end
* Then & future
* Author & Finisher
* He's A -- Z
* But most of life is in the
o L, M, N, O, P
NOW = this present time -- the Now
Without further delay
Used to strengthen a command
* When you come to Citipoint
o Our relationship with Christ
o Has to do with where we 'was'
(sign - was)
* I was a sinner
* I was a druggie
* I was a crazy
* I was addicted
* Many people get stuck in what 'was'
* Therefore you can't get into what is NOW
* You're struggling with your NOW because of what was...
* Messing up your "is-to-come"
* When you don't have a vision for the future
o You will always be stuck in what was
o Because the bus -- NOW is always moving toward what is to come
* A lot of people are stuck at the bus stop (what was)
* Churches -- are at bus stops (explain)
* Christians ...
Singing He was there all the time
Because you look back and see he was
But not believing He is
* Putting you on the bus of NOW
* A lot of your old friends don't realize you've got on the bus
And what you were
You're not any more
* Last year as a church
o At the State of Church Address
o The Divine Dozen
o And their goals
1. Forward Thinking
1. Web Page
2. Bookstore -- ministry catalog
3. Pod cast
5. Update technology
6. Intercessory prayer
7. Pastor's prayer partners
8. Corporate Prayer - Altar
10. Visitor friendly
11. Hispanic service
12. K-nex groups
13. Enlarge leadership base
14. Build program management team
15. Bring understanding & accountability to CPO's
16. Clean-up building
17. New nursery
18. Paint outside