Summary: Sermon series on 1 john
Series: 1 John
Title: Getting back into the Fellowship of God
Focus: Repentance of Sin
Point #1: Recognition of Personal Sin (1 John 1:8)
• Explanation: (NOTE: Remember he is speaking to believers here.)
o “If (at any time) we should say we have no sin we are leading ourselves astray and the truth is not in us.”
• Man’s view of sin is often minor while God’s view of sin is major…
o Man calls sin… God calls sin
• A weakness Wickedness (Gen. 13:13 Sod.)
• An Accident An abomination (Proverbs 6:16)
• An Infirmity An Iniquity (Psalm 51:5)
• An Error An Evil (Isaiah 5:20)
• A Failure Fatal (Romans 6:23)
o Self Evaluation: Since the passage is written to those who believe, the issue is not whether the believer has had sin in the past but whether he has sin right now.
o To say that we have no sin, is to say that we are free of the consequences of our rebellion, which is to say that we have no need for Jesus Christ or the redemptive work of the cross.
• Question: Where are you at with sin right now?
• The first prerequisite for walking with God is the recognition of one’s own sinful nature.
• Illustration: Dr. Ralph Sockman writes about an experience he had while standing on the edge of Niagra Falls one clear, cold March day. Wrapped in white winter garments, the falls glistened in the bright sun. As some birds swooped down to snatch a drink from the clear water, Sockman's companion told how he had seen birds carried over the edge of the cliff. As they dipped down for a drink, tiny droplets of ice would form on their wings. As they returned for additional drinks more ice would weigh down their bodies until they couldn't rise above the cascading waters. Flapping their wings, the birds would suddenly drop over the falls.
• Application: The birds remind us of the effects of sin. We go down to the water for a taste until we can no longer rise up to experience the sun.
o Remember, it is one thing to lie (sin) but it is something entirely different when we believe our own lie.
• It only takes a little sin to depart from the truth.
• Embrace the truth of God’s absolute holiness (he is the light that brings personal sin to the surface through the power of the Holy Spirit)
• If we remain in our own sinfulness and never take ownership of our mistakes we lose fellowship with Christ.
o This is the basics of fellowship with God who is pure light. If God’s truth is not in us, then we are in darkness. There is only 1 of two places to be.
Point #2: Confession of Personal Sin (1 John 1:9)
• Explanation: God’s solution to our sinful problem is simple…
o “Confess”: Confession is a visual realization of personal shortcomings. We must see sin as God sees it!
o “Confession”: To declare openly and freely with no restraint or holding back. Greek = to publically concede that something is factual or true, with a focus on admission of wrongdoing.