Summary: An Illustrated sermon showing how the church needs to bring the sick to Jesus Christ
Getting back your fight
(This is an illustrated sermon showing how the church should bring the sick to Jesus Christ)
Idea for Illustration came from Tommy Barretts church
-5 men, 1 man laying on a cot, the other 4 wearing white t-shirts, each shirt having a different word on them. Love, Faith, Works, and Vision.
-Needs to be a cot with long poles.
-Need rope, saw, and hammer.
-Sound effects of sawing
-Wood chips or styrofoam to drop from ceiling
(None of the men need to talk, just follow Pastors lead)
2 And many were gathered together, so that there was no longer room, even near the door; and He was speaking the word to them.
3 and they came, bringing to Him a paralytic, carried by four men.
4 And being unable to ’get to Him on account of the crowd, they removed the roof above Him; and when they had dug an opening, they let down the pallet on which the paralytic was lying.
5 And Jesus seeing their faith said to the paralytic, "My son, your sins are forgiven.”
6 But there were some of the scribes sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, 7 "Why does this man speak that way? He is blaspheming; who can forgive sins ’but God alone"
8 And immediately Jesus, perceiving in His spirit that they were reasoning that way within themselves, said to them, "Why are you reasoning about these things in your hearts?
9 "Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ’Your sins are forgiven; or to say, ’Arise, and take up your pallet and walk’?
10 "But in order that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins," He said to the paralytic,
11 "I say to you, rise, take up your pallet and go home."
12 And he rose and immediately took up the pallet and went out in the sight of all; so that they were all amazed and were glorifying God saying, "We have never seen anything like this."
A. Jesus Teaching in a crowded house
1. In the culture of Jesus day the sick or diseased were looked on as sinners.
2. This Paralytic was not only sick, diseased, afflicted, but definitely the people considered him a sinner .
B. But who were these 4 men
Vs. 3 And they came, bringing to Him a paralytic, carried by four men."
1. I believe their a beautiful representation of what people of our Lord Jesus Christ should be.
2. A Triumphant church
3. People that have learned how to fight the fight of life for Jesus Christ.
4. People that know if they continue fighting the good fight of faith they will live in victory.
5. Victorious church reaching hurting people and bringing them to Jesus! -No matter what the cost!
6. I believe they represent 4 Christ like characteristics needed in the church.
I. The first is Bro. Love
(Bro. Love comes out)
Shows him love and compassion.
A. Bro. Love is full of compassion for this sick man and exercises care for him. ..
1. God’s people must be moved by love for the hurting.
2. We are called to love - 2 of the greatest commandments
-Jesus moved to compassion in
“And seeing the multitudes, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and downcast like sheep without a shepherd."
-He touched the lepers
-With the adulteress women instead of condemning or throwing rocks at her with the other men. He simple forgave her and said, "go and sin no more"
-Dying on the cross He showed compassion of love and asked His Father to "forgive them for they know not what they do."
3. Christ has set a standard for us,
John 15:12 "This is my commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you."
John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another ."
4. He is telling us that we need to give proof of our disciple- ship.
5. Love everyone: Good, bad, ugly, lonely
I Thessalonians 3:12 "and may the Lord cause you to --"’ increase and abound in love for one another, and for all I men, just as we also do for you;"
5. Love your enemies? Jesus said in
"never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what --"’ is right in the sight of all men."
B. Love is a mighty force -You can’t fight love
1. Bro. Love cares so much about this sick man he wants to bring him to Jesus
(Bro. Love picks up one corner, but can’t bring him to Jesus.)
II. Next Bro. Faith comes on the scene