Summary: There is a lot that we can learn and compare with getting fit physically with getting fit Spiritually.
There comes a time in most of our lives that we want to get in better shape.
Health - Medical conditions / Weight loss / Baby weight
This involves a process
• Commitment – Just joining won’t get you in shape – Set a schedule
• Equipment / Trainers
• Set backs
• Days where you just want to give up.
They’re 2 things about our commitment to get in shape that can be applied to our Christian life
First our personal bodies
1Co 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 1Co 6:20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
Now this verse is most often interpreted as dealing with Sexual Immorality
• But today I want to expand on this
• 19-20 Now Paul talks positively about how Christians should view their bodies.
1. They should consider that their bodies, including their whole personality, form "the temple" the sacred dwelling place--of God, the Holy Spirit.
2. Christians have received the Spirit from God to help them against sin.
3. They have no right to pervert and misuse their bodies, for they are not their own master but have been purchased by God at a price (v.20). That price, though not mentioned here, is the blood of Jesus Christ
The picture is of a slave being purchased from the horrible system of slavery.
• Christians have been freed from being overpowered by sin (Ro 6:17-18)
• We have been freed from Satan (Col 1:13)
• And because of that we are enslaved to Christ (Ro 1:1) and to righteousness (Ro 6:18).
What this means is that Christians must glorify God in their bodies.
• Since Paul has been writing about individuals and since the individual Christian is indwelt by the Holy Spirit, it is best to understand v.19 to mean that each individual Christian's body is a temple of the Holy Spirit (contrast 3:16-17).
Paul is instructing us to not treat our bodies negatively (Elab)
• So if we shouldn’t treat them negatively we should treat them Positively
• While its true that we should refrain from Sexual Immorality
• We should also look in the beginning of verse 19
• Your body is a Temple – And Who lives in this temple – The Holy Spirit
Now home improvemnent is big buisness these days
• We buy houses to flip (Explain) We’re taking something old & making it new
• We renovate our own (Elab) Our House The Kitchen Cabinets
• If the church were to suffer and need repair we would have a work day and fix it
• So why wouldn’t we want to remodel the temple / our bodies for the Holy Spirit
(Elab on How)
Second our Church bodies
Ac 20:24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.
• Getting in shape at the gym Can also be compared to our ministries
• Not just mine but everyones
Our Ministries involve a process (It doesn’t happpen overnight)
• Commitment – If I don’t do something they’re gonna die and go to hell
• Equipment / Trainers
• Set back - Sometimes people Leave (Elab)Days where you just want to give up
Gym - Biggets Loser
Evangelizing – Biggest Winner