Summary: The sermon shares how we get ready for the kingdom of heaven based on David's plea.
Getting Fit for the Kingdom Psalm 51:1-13
1. David was a man of great respect at one time in his life He was the one who overcame Goliath
• he slayed 10000's when the king only slew thousands,
• David not only a man of great valor but a man after Gods own heart
2. David carried a lot of stuff he needed to get rid of Listen to some of David stuff
• Adultery he saw Bathsheba
• He committed murder and He betrayed God with his sin
3. Consider how David felt because of his sin
• David sin is so devastating that he is now feeling utterly separated from God, isolated and punished.
• He has done a deed that fills him with excruciating pain, and all the joy that he has had in God in the past is gone.
4. David decides I am going to get fit for the Kingdom
• First David Calls on God vs 1-3
a. there is only one way to salvage his life He needs to call on God (vv. 1-2).
b. David pronounces himself a sinner. 1Have mercy on me, O God
He throws himself on the mercy of God, knowing that he deserves no mercy.
c. His prayer is an admission of guilt (v. 3), I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. He does not try to maintain his innocence, defend or explain his action, or try to put the responsibility on another party.
a. The first step to true repentance is a clear recognition of one's own sin. David says I am the starting point
• Second David confesses to God 4-6
(v. 4). 4Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, Proverbs 28:13He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
• Third David Pleads with God for forgiveness (Unsin Him) To get fit I need unsined
A. 7-9 Purge me with hyssop , (To Free From Guilt)
B. and I shall be clean : wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow .(Unsin Me)
C. Make me to hear joy and gladness( Let my surrounding be joy and gladness) ;
D. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. (Blot out all the sins I have committed)
• Fourth David knows in order to get fit for the Kingdom He needs recreated 10-13
A. Create in me a clean heart , O God ; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence ; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
B. God get me fit and I will get others fit Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation ; Then will I teach transgressors thy ways ; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
C. The psalmist then prays for the power not to sin again (vv. 10-13). He wants a clean heart that can stay clean. He understands that such an action is beyond his human ability, but is available from God, who has the power to cause the change of human hearts (cf. Jeremiah 31:31ff; Ezekiel 11:17ff).
In Conclusion, Remember in order to get Fit for the Kingdom Call on God
• Salvage one’s life call on God , Jeremiah says3`Call to me and I will answer you
• To Get Fit for the Kingdom Confess to God John says, “. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
• In order to get fit for the Kingdom let God unsin you Hab 2:4 ... "Behold the proud, his soul is not upright in him; but the just shall live by faith." We are justified not by the works of the law but by Jesus Christ
• In order to get fit for the Kingdom Be recreated therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.