Summary: Believers need to quit making excuses for their laziness in serving God!
LUKE 14:15-24 “GETTING OFF OUR BUTS!”
A) So lets talk tonight about “Buts.” * We all have them!
* They are usually pretty big, though some may be bigger than most, but we all have them.
* Some are so big that others try to hide behind them.
* Some of us use them more than others, however they always end up getting in the way.
* Preacher, you sure do have a lot of explaining to do!
B) OK, here goes! * But I can’t .. But I’m over 40 ... But I don’t have an education!
* But I don’t have any money ... But I’m in the wrong job ... But I’m in bad health!
* But I’ve been through so much ... But I don’t have anything to offer the church!
* But, but, but ... My what big buts we have! * Notice how they all start ... “But I ...”
C) God had a big but too, you know ... His all started with ... “But, God ...”
* This little phrase shows up 66 times in the Bible.
* Whereas, our buts are excuses, God’s buts are His response to Satan’s challenge!
* The world says no - “but God” says yes!
* The world says can’t - “but God” says can!
* The world says won’t - :but God” says will!
* The world says stop - “but God” says go!
* The world says don’t - “but God” says do!
* The world says defeat - “but God” says victory!
D) See the difference here ... Our but is an excuse! * An excuse not to do something!
* I heard a quote the other day that puts it into a little perspective .......
* The origin of every excuse is the failure to do something!
* Deion Sanders, baseball and football player, is the only athlete to have hit a Major League home
run and scored an NFL touchdown in the same week!
* Sanders grew up on the mean streets of Fort Myers, Fla., where exposure to some would-be
athletes spurred him to make a success of himself.
E) He explains: “I call them Idas.” * “If I’da done this, I’d be making three million today!”
* “If I’da practiced a little harder, I’d be a superstar.”
* “They were as fast as me when they were kids, but instead of working for their dreams they
chose drugs and a life on the street corners.”
* “When I was young, I had practice; my friends who didn’t, went straight to the streets and never
left. That moment after school is the moment we need to grab. We don’t need any more Idas!”
* Getting Off Our Buts ... So now that we all understand our buts, lets look at ways of getting off
them. * Luke 14:16-24 is ... The Parable Of The Great Supper!
F) Let me give you a little background here! * It was the custom then to send out 2 invitations!
* One to announce the event and the other to tell the invited guests that it was all ready.
* In this parable, the certain man that Jesus is referring to is God.
* God is preparing a huge festival, a feast for us and has sent out the invitations to us.
* Once God has it ready, he’ll send out the final invitation ... what will your response be?
G) Now we are going to get this down to a personal level!
* For months now, I’ve invited folk to church!
* The numbers that have responded to the invitation, is quite low, though I am sure the excuses are
quite high. * Or should I say, their buts have gotten bigger in the last few weeks!