Summary: What God wants us to become.
A. HOW TO GET READY TO MEET GOD – EXODUS 19: 1-5
1. God gave Moses an invitation to know Him. “The Lord called . . . out of the mountain” (19:3). “Be still and know that I am God” (Ps. 41:10).
2. Geographical prayer. Go to the places where God likes to reveal Himself. “Moses went up (Sinai) unto God” (19:3). Usually, it is our church.
3. Remember God’s past work. “Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians” (19:4).
4. Obey is the best way to believe. “If ye will obey My voice” (19:5).
B. WHAT GOD WANTS US TO BECOME? – EXODUS 19:6-7
1. God treasures us. “Ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto Me” (19:5).
a. A treasure has great value.
c. Self-extension. “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also” (Matt. 6:21).
2. God wants us to be His priest. “Ye shall be to me a kingdom of priests” (19:6).
a. Worship, “Give God the worship due Him.”
b. Intercession, for self and others.
c. Prayer is relationship.
3. God wants us to be holy. “Ye shall be . . . a holy nation” (19:6).
a. Holy means separation and pure.
b. God wants us to be like Him, “Be ye holy; for I Am holy” (1 Peter 1:16).
c. For us to become like God, He first becomes like us (John 1:14).
C. HOW TO PREPARE TO MEET GOD IN COMMUNITY – EXODUS 19:8-13
1. Come apart. “The people . . . sanctify them” (19:10).
a. Inward purity.
b. Outward to a secluded place.
2. Appropriate garments. “Wash their clothes” (19:10).
a. “Clothed with righteousness” (Ps. 132:9).
b. For corporate worship, Sunday best. But you can go to God at all times, dressed any way.
3. Anticipate His presence. “Be ready” (19:11).
4. When we are ready. God will come. “The Lord will come down in the sight of all the people” (19:11).
5. The atmospheric presence of God. “The Father seeks worship from His worshippers” (John 4:23, ELT).
6. Reverence. “Set bounds unto the people . . . take heed . . . that ye go not up into the mount” (19:12). God is intimate and personal, but not cutesy; no “Hi God.”
7. Total devotion. “Warn them, be careful” (19:12). Get ready for an important event” (19:15, LB).
8. Gather together in unity. “They must gather at the front of the mountain” (19:13, LB).
9. Pledge obedience. Since they are a kingdom of priests, they must pledge themselves to their king. “And all the people answered together, and said, ‘All that the Lord hath spoken we will do.’ And Moses returned the words of the people unto the Lord” (19:8).
D. WHY CAN’T WE SEE GOD? – EXODUS 19:14-25
1. Nature was disrupted when God showed up. “There were thunders and lightnings” (19:16). The whole mountain shook with a violent earthquake” (19:18, LB).
2. The hidden God. “A thick cloud upon the mountain” (19:16). “All Mount Sinai was covered with smoke (19:18, LB).