Summary: Getting to know Jesus sometimes takes us out of what we know and can trust to something that becomes unfamiliar.
Getting To Know Him Part 3
Rev. James White
Crossroads New Life Tabernacle, Deville, LA 2/21/2007
5 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
6 And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.
7 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner.
8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
• Getting to know Jesus sometimes takes us out of what we know and can trust to something that becomes unfamiliar. Zacchaeus was a chief among the publicans, which lets us know that he was very proud. He was a rich man with rich friends and he had an image to keep.
• Sprite has a commercial that ran a few years ago. The slogan was “Image is nothing, Thirst is everything.”
David wrote in Psalms 42:1-2 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
• Zacchaeus stepped out on a limb….He actually stepped out on a limb so that He could pursue Jesus. His desire was so strong that he forgot his status in the community, with his friends, with his family and climbed into a Sycamore tree.
• Note that Jesus knew Zacchaeus, because he called him by name. He probably passed him on the street or heard stories about him. Knowing this we have to assume that Zacchaeus had a knowledge of Jesus. Zacchaeus was not satisfied with being acquainted with Him, Zacchaeus wanted to know Him. Jesus always had crowds around Him, and people were always getting in the way, so Zacchaeus had to change the way he pursued Jesus.
Knowing Him is Pursuing Him
David was the prime example of pursuit.
1 Sam 13:13-14
13 And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel for ever.
14 But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart , and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee
• Samuel is rebuking Saul because he was trying to build a kingdom by his own abilities. He stopped relying on God, so everything he worked for began to fall apart.
• God had found His man, but he had not yet been anointed, so God sends Samuel to Jesse’s house. Note, that in everything we do, God is looking at our heart. Just like God did to Saul, He will do to us if we are not seeking Him with all of our heart.
• God did not send Samuel out to find a replacement that could be a better King, he sent Samuel out to find someone that would seek Him with all of their heart.
• In the church, God is not looking for better preachers, Sunday school teacher, youth workers, deacons, teachers or anything else. He is looking for someone that will be in pursuit of Him with all of their Heart.
Knowing Him Is Spiritual
19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.
20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
• Jesus basicly tells the woman that she needs to move to the next level. The next level can not be obtained by going through the same routine. We will never make it to the next level while questioning the supernatural, it will only come when we are willing to accept what the God of the supernatural is trying to show us.