Summary: Starting into a sermon series on Gideon found in Judges 6-8. What was it that led to Israel being in the spiritual condition where God would hand them over to foreigners? In spite of their behavior God is still faithful! Thank you, Jesus!
Gideon - Judges 6-8
Quiz - where does Gideon fall in history?
(Put an insert in the bulletin with the following people/events out of order. With a whiteboard have the congregation help with putting them in order.)
First we’ll put these in chronological order:
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
Moses and the Exodus
The time of the Judges
The Kings of Israel
The divided kingdom - Israel and Judah
Israel and Judah taken into captivity
John the Baptist
The ministry of Jesus
The Holy Spirit is given
The Last Days and End Times
The Return of Jesus
Where does Gideon fall in this sequence?
Who read Judges 6, 7 and 8 in preparation for this Sunday?
(1) The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord, and for seven years He gave them into the hands of the Midianites. (2) Because the power of Midian was so oppressive, the Israelites prepared shelters for themselves in mountain clefts, caves and strongholds.
(3) Whenever the Israelites planted their crops, the Midianites, Amalekites and other eastern peoples invaded the country. (4) They camped on the land and ruined the crops all the way to Gaza and did not spare a living thing for Israel, neither sheep nor cattle nor donkeys.
(5) They came up with their livestock and their tents like swarms of locusts. It was impossible to count them or their camels; they invaded the land to ravage it. (6) Midian so impoverished the Israelites that they cried out to the Lord for help.
(7) When the Israelites cried out to the Lord because of Midian, (8) He sent them a prophet, who said, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: I brought you up out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
(9) “I rescued you from the hand of the Egyptians. And I delivered you from the hand of all your oppressors; I drove them out before you and gave you their land.
(10) “I said to you, ‘I am the Lord your God; do not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you live.’ But you have not listened to me.”
(11) The angel of the Lord came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah that belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites.
(12) When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.”
(1) The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord, and for seven years He gave them into the hands of the Midianites.
The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the Lord …
The Charge of Obedience from Moses in Deuteronomy 4:1-40 - this is an example of how the Israelites knew what God expected of them and that is just one example!
They knew it! They had the stone tablets with the Ten Commandments in the Ark of the Covenant. How could they sink to that level?
(20) “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.”
Why is this commandment sandwiched between the four commandments of how we are to relate to God and the five commandments about how we are to treat each other?