Summary: God does not need us or anything we possess. So, what could we possibly give to Him?
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
23 Feb 2014
GIFTS FIT FOR A KING
• Joseph’s brothers/one trip/Egypt to buy food
• Came face to face/brother Joseph.
• He recognized them, but they did not recognize him
• to awaken their dead consciences
• to get them to acknowledge their sins
• Joseph accuses them of being spies and imprisons Simeon.
Told/return home/bring their youngest brother Benjamin
• Prove they telling truth/having family back Canaan.
• He already knew the truth
• he was merely trying to get them to face the truth
In this text
• Judah/convinced Jacob/take Benjamin/Egypt buy more food
• Jacob gives in/allows Benjamin to accompany them
• Jacob commands them to carry with them some gifts
• Hoping/soften Joseph up
• treat the sons of Jacob in a more pleasant manner
Talk/things Jacob sent/Joseph/like to ask you a question.
• What do you give to a man who owns everything?
• Prime Minister/Egypt, he did not need gold or silver
• offer of power meant nothing/Joseph
• Sovereign over all the land of Egypt.
• They could not offer him service/servants/all he demanded
What could they give a powerful/wise/wealthy man like Joseph?
• Jacob had the answer, we will examine/gifts he sent/Joseph.
• As I read this text and think about its message
• My thoughts/drawn far higher/mere man sitting/ancient throne.
• As I consider this text
• I am forced to think of a far greater King.
When I do, I wonder what poor, miserable creatures like us could possibly give to a God like Him.
God doesn’t need our wealth. He owns all things! “
Psalm 50:10-12 “For every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the insects in the fields are mine. If I were hungry I would not tell you, for the world is mine, and all that is in it”
God doesn’t need our knowledge/our wisdom.He knows all things.
Heb. 4:13 “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”
God doesn’t need our service. He commands myriads of angels who exist to do His perfect will.
Matt. 26:53“Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and He will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?”
Praise His name, He allows us to serve Him!
God does not need us or anything we possess. So, what could we possibly give to Him?
• Verses teach us something about that matter
• Talk about/only gifts/worthy of our Savior.
• Want take this episode/life of Joseph’s family/preach on the thought Gifts Fit For A King.
Let me point out the gifts mentioned here.
• As I do, you and I need to examine our giving in the light of His will.