Summary: In His mercy, God has given us the gifts of a new birth, and inheritance, and a shield in times of trouble.
Gifts from Our Merciful God I Pet. 1:3-5
INTRO.: What is the greatest gift you have ever received from a loved one? We all love to receive a gift and we love to give them. We always want to give something unique and unexpected. We always want to give the very best we can to those we love. We want to choose something we know they will truly enjoy.
Imagine what God could give us if He chose to. He owns and controls the entire universe. He could give us anything.
He chose to give us the most costly gifts imaginable. Our forgiveness and eternal life cost Him the life of His son.
Let’s consider three very important gifts the Father has given us.
I. New Birth: 3 - the story of Nicodemus’ visit. Jn. 3:1-5
A. We need a new birth:"no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."
1. "No one" because all are unfit to see the Kingdom in our natural sinful state.
2. It is impossible for us to be born again, so God gives us second birth as a gift.
B. The new birth brings us "Into a living hope."
1. This means hope that never dies. Eternal hope.
3. The "hope" is for the resurrection of the body when the Lord returns.
4. You may say it’s the same thing and you wouldn’t be far wrong.
C. The basis of this hope is the resurrection of Jesus
1. Did you know there were many raised from the dead when Jesus died? Matt. 27:51-53
2. The purpose is to let us know because of Jesus’ death, the grave can’t hold us.
3. He is the first fruits with many to follow. I Cor. 15:20-23
II. An inheritance 4: ILLUS.: I inherited my parent’s estate because I was born to them. The new birth makes us heirs of God. Our inheritance is much better because:
A. It cannot perish
1. An inheritance may include livestock. It can die before being claimed.
2. In Jesus’ day, many would inherit sheep and goats. They represented wealth.
3. What we inherit from God can’t die. It’s immortal.
B. It cannot spoil
1. ILLUS.: in our neighborhood, there is land passed on from former generations. Sometimes the heirs don’t care for it. Weeds & brush take over. Fruit trees die. The land is spoiled.
2. Such land may become a dump. It is spoiled.
3. Our eternal inheritance can’t be spoiled.
C. It cannot fade
1. Like an old empty house, inherited by someone who doesn’t or can’t care for it.
2. What was once a beautiful home ringing with laughter & filled with love will fade into rubble.
3. This happens because no one can or wants to maintain the inheritance.
D. This can’t happen because God cares for our inheritance.
1. It is kept. - in Heaven.
2. He has prepared it for us and He opened the way to it for us. He will not fail to keep it for us.