Summary: It is God who imparts understanding to wisdom.
“Give Ear To Wisdom’s Voice”
To begin the preparation for today’s message, I came up with a list of 12 things I think are stupid.
You may agree or disagree with some or all of my list.
You may want to add your own perceptions to my list.
At any event, here is my list.
1. Hurling oneself on a motorcycle over a row of 15 tractor trailers to beat the record jump of 12 tractor trailers and ending up crashing into the 13th tractor trailer while your motorcycle and your body crash all at the same time.
2. Jumping onto the railing attached to a flight of steps while riding a skate board and crashing onto the cement without wearing any safety pads or a helmet.
3. Voluntarily entering into a plastic box and allowing someone to cover you with poisonous snakes.
4. Entering a live worm eating contest.
5. Robbing a bank and smiling at the cameras taking your pictures.
6. Asking for an aisle seat on an airplane so your hair doesn’t get messed up sitting too close to the window. (Really happened.)
7. The following label on a Sears Hair Dryer: “Do Not Use While Sleeping”
8. The following label on a child’s Superman Costume: “Wearing This Costume Does Not Enable You To Fly”
9. Setting up a business in Las Vegas in which men pay $10,000 to hunt and shoot naked women with paintball guns. The pellets travel at 200 mph and cause welts and bleeding when they hit the naked women’s flesh.
10. Women who want to participate because they get paid $2,500 if they are able to evade the paintballs, and $1,000 if they are hit.
11. Playing the arcade game at the shore in which you pay money to hold onto two metal rods while jolts of electricity are shooting through your body to see how much you can take.
12. Participating in a reality show to find the person you’re going to marry while competing against other contestants who want to marry the same Bachelor and then being told the Bachelor is not a Millionaire, and getting depressed because you were dumped.
Now I comprised this list because our sermon text from Proverbs, just happens to be talking about wisdom.
Wisdom is personified as a woman..
“Wisdom cries out in the street; in the squares she raises her voice.
At the busiest corner she cries out;
at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:”
I believe that the examples I gave from my list of 12 things that I think are stupid, proves that not everybody hears wisdom’s voice crying.
Or if they do hear wisdom’s voice crying, they choose to ignore it.
Now, I cannot say that I am exempt from doing stupid things.
If we’re honest, I believe that most of here today would admit to doing at least one stupid thing in their life.
In fact, in one of my favorite episodes of Stargate S.G. 1, a science fiction drama on the Sci-Fi channel, Colonial O’Neale is stuck in a time warp pattern and he keeps repeating a segment of his life.
How many of us would jump at the chance to redo a portion of our lives?
In fact, I heard on the radio that that is the theme of the next reality series…
Individuals are given a sum of money, and somehow given a chance to do a part of their life over.