Summary: Children obey your parents, gives a 2 part promise – To Live well & have a prosperous life. It comes abut with Honoring your father & Mother
- We honor mom today
- It’s tough being a mother
Mrs. Monroe lives in Darlington, Maryland. She’s the mother of 8 children. And except for a few interesting experiences, she’s just like any other mother across America. One experience was so unique that John Haggai put it in his book: “How to Win Over Worry.”
She came home one afternoon from the grocery store and walking into the yard everything looked pretty much the same, though it was a little bit quieter than usual. Their were 5 children sitting around in a circle, exceedingly quiet, doing something, with something in the middle of the circle. As she came closer she saw that they were playing with 5 of the cutest skunks you can imagine.
She was instantly terrified and she said, “Run children, run! Each child grabbed a skunk and ran, in 5 different directions. She was beside herself and screamed louder, more frantically, with great gusto. It so scared the children that each one squeezed his skunk! As the writer put it, “Skunks don’t like to be squeezed!”
- It’s tough being a mother
- Getting a sleepy teen-age son up is tough
Mom No. 1: How do you get your sleepy-head son up in the morning?
Mom No. 2: I just put the cat on the bed.
Mom No. 1: How does that help?
Mom No. 2: The dog’s already there.
- Now that was easy
A Philosopher Once Complained, “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect for their elders. They love to chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, babble before company, gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
- Socrates made that comment more than twenty-five hundred years ago.
Proverbs 30:11 (AV)
11 There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother.
Proverbs 30:17 (AV)
17 The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it.
Ep 6:2-3 Quoting
Exodus 20:12 (AV)
12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
– Gives a 2 part promise – To Live well & have a prosperous life
- It comes abut with Honoring your father & Mother
- “Honor” = value, respect, esteem
- Ep 6:1 - Demonstrated by Obedience
- How does this come about?
- Ep. 6:4 - Last phrase “bring them up….. in the Lord”
- None of this can happen if you yourself do not Honor the Lord
- How have you demonstrated Honor, Value, & Conviction?
- Note the words Nurture & Admonition
- Nurture – idea of nourishing, training, care & protection
- Admonition – Instruction, Teaching, Discipline
Deuteronomy 4:9–10 (AV)
9 Only take heed to thyself, and keep thy soul diligently, lest thou forget the things which thine eyes have seen, and lest they depart from thy heart all the days of thy life: but teach them thy sons, and thy sons’ sons;