Summary: Are you willing to go the extra mile for Jesus? Are you willing to go the extra mile to help win one to Jesus?
• SLIDE #1
• Winter- man goes to mall, returns to car, and notices an odor coming from out of the hood.
• Opens, finds cat mutilated in the fan belt. Cat looking for a warm place.
• Mr. Jones had a plastic shopping bag so he carefully pulled the cat out of the belt and put what was left of the corpse in the bag.
• Sets the bag on the car, shuts hood, goes to wash hands.
• With a bang he slammed the hood down and walked off to wash his hands, but looking back he noticed something unusual. He had left the bag on the hood of the car. He was about to return and pick it up but just then a lady walks by, looks suspiciously in both directions, she grabs the bag, and with her cart she then speeds off for the mall.
• "Well this is too good to be true!" The man thought as he laughed at the lady. He decided to follow her and see what would happen next. She went to a restaurant and proceeded to survey her prize. "Yeek!" She screamed as she looked in the bag. And then over she fell.
• Of course, the management was equally alarmed that a customer had fainted in their establishment and so they called the paramedics. The woman in no time at all was strapped to a cart and ready to be hauled off to the ambulance. But the man couldn’t resist. "Hey lady!" He shouted, "Don’t forget your package!" And with that he gently laid the cat corpse filled bag on the lady’s chest, just as the ambulance doors were closing!
• This story is funny because it reflects the, “She got what she got what deserved” lessons.
• We all probably have some personal stories about a time in which we “got even” with someone who perpetrated evil of some kind against us.
• The desire to get “even” or to seek revenge against people is one of the toughest things for most of us resist.
• When people wrong us, insult us or take our property, our desire is to see them pay for what they did to us.
• The question we all need to ask ourselves today is, are we willing to go the extra mile for Jesus? Just how far will we allow our faith to penetrate our lives?
• Jesus said that if we want to see the kingdom of heaven that our righteousness needs to exceed that of the scribes and Pharisees.
• Today we are going to see what Jesus says about the subject of retaliation.
• How should one who has their citizenship in heaven respond when things happen to them? Should we respond like the world would, or does Jesus expect something more from us?
• SLIDE #2
• Let us begin by looking at Matthew 5:38
• Matthew 5:38 ( ESV ) “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’
• SLIDE #3
I. GET WHAT YOU GIVE.
• You got what you gave.
• This Old Testament principle was intended to establish a legal basis for assuring that injured parties received just compensation or retribution, while at the same time, limiting punishment to what was commensurate with the crime.