Summary: God is always at work. He is never idle. The question is whether we are going to come alongside HIm and engage in what He is doing, or stand in the way or idly by.,
Passage: Daniel 2:1-21
Intro: God is the most active being in the universe.
1. there is never a moment when He is not engaged in meaningful activity
2. He never sleeps, He is never bored, He is always at work accomplishing His purposes.
3. even when He rested on the 7th day of creation He was revealing a purpose, setting an example.
4. He had ceased from creative activity, but not from revealing/instructing activity.
5. one of the best ways to read the Bible is to ask the question: “What is God doing here?”
6. the book of Daniel is filled with the activity of God and this passage is a classic.
7. so what does this have to do with me?
8. Henry Blackaby…in “Experiencing God”. ”Find out what God is doing, and join Him.”
I. God is Constantly Engaged in Truth Tests
1. we saw Nebuchadnezzar last week, ruler of the great Babylonian Empire.
2. He had taken Jerusalem, brought home exiles, including 4 young men whose exploits fill the pages of this book.
3. Nebuchadnezzar, as the king, was off-limits unless he wanted to see you.,
PP) imagine showing up to the front gate at the White House and asking to see President Obama.
4. but God can go where man cannot, and goes right into Nebs head and plants a dream!
5. this was a recurring dream, (“dreams”), and yet singular (“dream”
Il) do you have these? Mine is being in a different church, supposed to preach, but not dressed for it, don’t have anything prepared.
6. troubling enough that he brings in guys to interpret, but with a God- ordained twist.
7. because God is running this, the request is unusual.
8. both tell the dream and interpret it.
Il) like telling a math class to write out the problem I have in my head, and then solve it!
9. this group of people claimed to have access to spiritual information through their “sources”, Nebuchadnezzar asked for proof.
10. and he added some powerful motivation, negative and positive.
11. I love the final response of sorcerers in v11…”they are not accessible”, (even though we have been telling you differently for many years.)
12. so they are all going to die horribly, including Daniel and his friends.
13. we see what Nebuchadnezzar is doing, but what is God doing?
14. He is revealing the lies and the liars, and preparing to reveal the truth!
15. look around! God is constantly doing this.
Il) emptiness of answers that don’t include God, like “how did the universe begin”
Il) other night lying in backyard with grandsons, one asked, “how did we get here? Able to give the truth with confidence, “God put us here”
16. read the paper, check the web. God sets up these “truth tests” all the time. Watch for them. Our lives are the testing ground. Because…
II. God’s Purpose is to Reveal Who Has the Truth
1. when sorcerers admitted they were liars, Nebuchadnezzar got angry
2. and as dictators do, he identified a group that needed to die.
PP) Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Saddam Hussein