Summary: God will build a new nation but He will start with an unlikely couple.
• SLIDE #1
• Before the start of a new episode in a television series, the show will begin with a review of the previous episode.
• Let’s do a review of The Story revealed in the Bible.
• Last week we discovered that God’s vision in creation was to be with us. Adam and Eve chose a different vision and sin was introduced into the human race. Once sin sunk its teeth into mankind it was not going to leave.
• The choice Adam and Eve made cost them everything, their relationship with God, each other, the earth, and creation in general.
• Sin caused them to be banished from the garden they enjoyed for so long.
• Even with this happening God passionately pursues us at a great cost. God relentlessly pursues you because you are the point of the Story.
• WE know that God has a vision to be with us and sin threw a wrench in that vision but God has a plan.
• In Chapter 2 of The Story, we start to see that plan unfold as we discover that God decides to build a nation and through that new nation win us back to Him!
• As we know when God does something those of us with a lower story mentality cannot understand why God makes the choices He does. As The Story unfolds today we will see this will ring true.
• God builds a new nation to reveal God and God’s plan to get us back.
• As we examine this new nation together, let us first look at…
• SLIDE #2
I. The people God chooses to build a new nation.
• If you own a business and have a job opening, one of the things a good business person will do is to look for the most qualified person to fill the job.
• As an employer you want the best you can get!
• Imagine you are looking for a person to do your network security at your bank. You would look at the resumes of the applicants; you would look at their education, their certifications and their experience.
• That is how those of us with a lower story mentality would go about our search. It is logical. I mean would you hire a person to secure your bank network who knows NOTHING about network security? Maybe at Target.
• Let’s see how God goes about choosing the people with whom He will build a new nation.
• First let us look where these people will come from.
• The City of Ur.
• SLIDE #3
• On the map in the front cover of the story you can draw a person at the city of Ur.
• On your Bible map find the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. In this area the Tower of Babel was being built by many nations who all had one language.
• God confounded their language and the nations scattered. God chose to create a new nation in this area of the world.
• When God scanned the city of Ur, He did not use the whole city to start His new nation; instead His focus was centered on one couple.
• Our logic would tell us to pick the whole city because with a whole city you can more quickly build a nation.
• Let’s look at the people God chose to begin the new nation with.