Summary: Through Daniel’s life we learn that it’s possible to stand for what is right even everything around you is wrong!
1. The TIMING of GOD is always perfect.
a. God is never late. He’s never early. He’s always on time.
b. And the life that you have, the times in which you live, are God’s perfect choice.
c. We’re here, in this city, in this state, in this year, in this church… by divine design.
d. It’s amazing! You were born where you were born. Grew up where you grew up. Learned what you learned..
e. So that God could use you now, today.
KNOWING THIS & BELIEVING THIS really changes our perspective.
• You mean Lord you’re working it out? You’ve got it under control? My life has meaning? YES!
Jer. 1.4-5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying: 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations."
NOTE: Remember Daniel is a book about a man & his ministry.
• YES It’s a book of PROPHECY but also A book of PURITY.
• PROPHETICALLY we see that God’s Word is SURE!
• God predicts the future with 100% accuracy and has it written down so that all can see His faithfulness.
Psalm 93.5 Your testimonies are very sure; Holiness adorns Your house, O LORD, forever.
Isa 43.10 "You are My witnesses," says the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, That you may know and believe Me, And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, Nor shall there be after Me.
AND along with Prophecy, we have the life of the man himself!
• Through Daniel’s life we learn that it’s possible to stand for what is right even everything around you is wrong!
• Let’s jump into Daniel 1:1.
I. (1:1-7) JUDAH TAKEN CAPTIVE
1. (1) Besieged!
a. Nebuchadnezzar came into Judah 3 times. Once in 606 BC which is this one. Again in 597BC and finally in 586BC.
b. On the last invasion, Nebuchadnezzar completely destroyed Jerusalem burning it to ground with fire.
c. As the ruler of the Babylonian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar was powerful and his empire was growing.
d. So in the 3rd year of Jehoiakim, 606 BC Nebuchadnezzar comes to town.
2. (2) The King and Articles of the house of God.
a. Did you see that? In v2 the LORD GAVE.
b. Also in v9, Now God Brought… again v17 God gave them…
GOD IS VERY MUCH INVOLVED in THIS captivity of Judah.
• He is judging the nation for their idolatry, their oppression of the poor, their lack of dependence upon Him.
• It is the perfect fulfillment of prophecy Isa 39.6-7, Jer 21 & 25
• Yet behind the scenes, God has a young man, Daniel who he will use greatly & be a light to the nation of Israel for generations!
NOTE: There are 2 sides to see in this unfolding picture.
• The HUMAN SIDE & the DIVINE SIDE.
• HUMANLY speaking, the captivity was horrible. Nebuchadnezzar conquering the world with an iron fist and was devastating.
• Seeing this apart from God he might think, “I am great. I rule the world. I’m in control.”
• BUT from the DIVINE PERSPECTIVE, he’s just a pawn in the Lord’s hand. He’s a tool of God.
Proverbs 21.1 The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes.
APP: There are 2 sides to the things in our lives as well.
• Many times when we are in trouble, we’re prone to blame it on the devil or some type of spiritual warfare. Could be… Sure.
• But could God be in it? Could He be using it?
• There is pain and problems caused by our own mistakes, our own mishaps, our own sin.
• But there is also pain spoken of in the Scriptures that is from the Lord, discipline and chastening. Let’s turn to Hebrews 12.5ff
HERE we see the Devil and God are both working… the devil wants the nation of Israel destroyed…
• But God is more powerful and is using Daniel and the situation to strengthen the nation of Israel. Both things are happening.
• Who will prevail? GOD!
YES: God IS sovereign & works all things together for the good.
• And no matter what comes into my life, I will trust you Lord and hold on to you and know you’re on my side!
It’s INTERESTING to notice a craftsman at work. It’s a blessing being surrounded by so many men & women who are gifted in making things with their hands.
• Whether it’s woodworking or electrical wiring, or fixing a car, or just being extremely good at what they do. It’s encouraging!