Summary: Showing how God cares through the story of Esther - PowerPoint slides aere available for this sermon on request - email: email@example.com
Reading: Esther chapters 2 verse 5-11..
Top 6 things that people tend to forget:
• 6: faces
• 5: what was said
• 4: words
• 3:telephone numbers
• 2: where something is
• 1: names!
Be assured of this:
• God not only knows you by name, but he will never ever forget it!
• ill: “Stand up & sat down” (Psalm 139 verses 1-2).
• ill: “Hairs on our head are numbered” (Matthew chapter 10 verse 30).
• Charles Spurgeon (18th century Baptist preacher & author);
• Once went down to visit a friend in the country.
• His friend had built a new barn,
• And above it he had placed a weather-vane bearing the text, "God Is Love".
• Spurgeon did not like for he thought it gave the impression;
• "That God’s love is as changeable as the wind?"
• But his friend said that it was the complete opposite;
• "It means that God is love, whichever way the wind blows!"
• The Old Testament book of Esther is a beautiful illustration of that;
• Before we look at our passage we need to get some background.
(a). The plot.
• In 46 days time it will be Bonfire Night (November 5th )
• Some people will take an effigy of a man called Guy Fawkes & burn it on top of a bonfire.
• The reason we do that is because in 1605;
• He hid 1.5 tonnes of gunpowder under the Houses of parliament,
• As well as blowing up the building,
• His plot was to blow up the entire government.
• As if it wasn’t for a man called Francis Tresham who gave the game away,
• He might have succeeded!
• Instead he was caught, arrested and imprisoned & tortured in the Tower of London.
• On January 31st 1606 along with seven other men;
• Was executed opposite the very building he tried to blow up.
• Ever since then we have celebrated that occasion each November 5th;
• With bonfires and fireworks and many still even make a ‘guy’ (stuffed dummy).
Years before Guy Fawkes Existed:
• Another plot took place;
• This time it was not to exterminate a group of politicians but a whole race of people.
• That is the story contained in the Bible book called Esther;
• We have recorded their the story of a plot to exterminate every Jewish person:
• Throughout history many world leaders and dictators have tried to do just that;
• From Pharaoh in the book of Exodus, to Adolph Hitler’s holocaust in the 2nd World War.
• And there are many alive in our world today;
• Who are trying to, or would love to see the Jewish people destroyed!
• That is the situation that occurs in this book called Esther.
• We know that the plot failed,
• But Esther is the gripping story of how her peoples future survival depends on her!
• Had the plot succeeded and the Jewish nation been exterminated!
• Think of what this would have meant to world history and to especially to you and me!
• No more Jews and therefore no Bible (one Gentile wrote 2 books, the rest is Jewish).
• And most of all no Jesus!
• And therefore no salvation!
(2). The Time.
• Historically it took place in the 5th century B.C. (From 486 to 465 B.C).
• Biblically the story fits in between Ezra chapters 6 and 7.
• Ill: Boy Arlo used to say when you told him things;