Summary: Does God still heal today? That is a question many people are asking. What is the answer? Our goal is to convince you through laying a strong Biblical foundation that healing is God’s will today.
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE GOD KIND #2 – JESUS THE HEALER
OPENING JOKE: FUNNY INSURANCE CLAIMS:
The statements below are taken from actual insurance accident claims forms. They are real, true (you can’t make up this kind of stuff).
• The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention.
• Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don’t have.
• I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment.
• As I approached an intersection a sign suddenly appeared in a place where no stop sign had ever appeared before. I was unable to stop in time to avoid the accident.
• I had been driving for forty years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident
INTRODUCTION: Does God still heal today? That is a question many people are asking. What is the answer? Our goal is to convince you through laying a strong Biblical foundation that healing is God’s will today.
JESUS THE HEALER:
I. THE NATURE OF JESUS:
1. His Name is The Lord Who Heals You:
“If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.” (Ex. 25:26). “For I am the Lord, I do not change.” (Malachi 3:6 (quickview) ).
• You can learn a lot about a person from their name.
• i.e. Barnabas = son of encouragement; Christopher = Christ-bearer
• Jehovah-Rophe = The Lord Who Heals You. That’s His name!
2. Jesus is Compassionate:
“Then Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching…preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people. But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them.” (Matthew 9:35-36 (quickview) ).
• Through His words and actions, Jesus demonstrated that He is compassionate.
3. Jesus is Willing to Heal the Sick:
“And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean." Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." Immediately his leprosy was cleansed…Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him, saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented." And Jesus said to him, I will come and heal him.” (Matthew 8:2-7 (quickview) ).
• We know God CAN heal, and HAS healed in the past, but we question His willingness to heal TODAY.
4. Jesus Came to Take Away our Sins and Sicknesses:
“But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities (sins); The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.” (Isaiah 53:5 (quickview) ).