Summary: James tells us in the difficult times God Gives!
“God Gives” James 1:17-27
1. James begins by telling us God Gives Worth Gifts (Good)wholesome Gifts
• God Gives Gifts The Good Gifts James tells us come from Above 17Every good and perfect gift is from above
• They come from the “Father of Lights” the creator of the universe the stars, the planets, moon , sun etc.. celestial beings these never stop giving light so it is with God giving us light
• The Father of Lights who does not change like shifting shadows or God does not change.
• The Father of Lights has gifted us with Salvation 18He chose to give us birth through the word of truth
2. God Gives us the Word as a Gift The Word planted In us that can save us
• The Word tells us Everyone should be quick to listen, that can save us from things we may do that we regret.
• slow to speak and that can save us from speaking unwisely
• slow to become angry, this can save us from blowing up and then wish had of thought the situation out better
• 20for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
3. God gives us advice to Waste (trash) some stuff such as a do nothing type Christian Life
• 21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent (dominate)
• “Get rid of a do nothing life and have a do something life”
• 22Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says
• Don’t just hear the instruction but do the instruction Faithfulness must be practiced.
4. God gives us a Mirror (an idea of our image our appearance) what do I look like spiritually?
• 23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does.
• The person who looks at his or her self immediately forget their appearance are those who hear but are not doing what the word says
• The person who does not forget and does do what the word says. This person knows what he or she is. This person remembers their actions, their motives, their desires, and their inward condition.”
5. God gives the gift of a Wholesome Life (pure and faultless) religion
• A real walk with God shows itself in simple, practical ways. It helps the needy and keeps itself unstained by the world’s corruption.
• 27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
6. Finally, God Gives us Worth stuff , Good stuff,
• Gives us the Word,
• Gives us Advice to waste trash stuff ,
• Gives us a Mirror,
• Give us wholesome purity and faultlessness
• and Give us His Body Give us His blood (Communion)