Summary: God has spoken through His servants to His chosen people in the past. Now He has spoken to us through Jesus, the Son. What did He say though?
The “experts” have spoken
• Charles H. Duell, U.S. PATENT OFFICE DIRECTOR, 1899, “Everything that can be invented has been invented.”
• Grover Cleveland, 1905, “Sensible and responsible women do not want to vote.”
• Robert Millikan, NOBEL PRIZE WINNER IN PHYSICS, 1923, “There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom.
• Lord Kelvin, PRESIDENT, ROYAL SOCIETY, C. 1895, “Heavier than air flying machines are impossible.
• Tris Speaker, one of the best offensive and defensive center fielders in history on Babe Ruth, 1927, “Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”
• THE MICHIGAN BANKER WHO ADVISED HENRY FORD’S LAWYER NOT TO INVEST IN THE NEW MOTOR CAR COMPANY, “The horse is here to stay, but the automobile is only a novelty. “
• When Gary Cooper turned down the role for Rhett Butler, he was passionately against it. He is quoted saying both, “Gone with the Wind is going to be the biggest flop in Hollywood history," and, "I’m just glad it’ll be Clark Gable who’s falling on his face and not Gary Cooper."
There are a lot of people that we consider “experts” today, that when they speak their word is considered law. But looking at history, sometimes the “experts” don’t know what they are talking about.
Today I want to tell you of an expert, that when He speaks you can rely on His words.
I want to share our scripture this morning with you from the HCSB. This is the translation that is used in our Sunday School material along side the King James Version. But in it we find the clearness that I would like to employ for today’s message.
Long ago God spoke to the fathers by the prophets at different times and in different ways. 2 In these last days, He has spoken to us by [His] Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things and through whom He made the universe. 3 He is the radiance of His glory, the exact expression of His nature, and He sustains all things by His powerful word. After making purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. 4 So He became higher in rank than the angels, just as the name He inherited is superior to theirs. (Heb 1:1-4 HCSB)
God has spoken through His servants to His chosen people in the past. He has tried to reveal His ways to a rebellious people, but they would not let Him. They would even treat the chosen vessels of God cruelly. They stoned them, beat them, imprisoned them, killed them and rejected them. They refused to listen to the message of Salvation that the prophets would bring from God.
God attempted one last time to bring this same message to this same people. However this time He didn’t send a prophet, He didn’t send an angel. He sent someone with authority and power to speak His words; He sent his one and only Son.
The Father even told us that Jesus had a message. On the Mount of Transfiguration God told Peter, James and John, “This is My beloved Son. I take delight in Him. Listen to Him!”
So beginning today, and going through the month of February, we will look at the different aspects of the message God sent to us through His Son, Jesus.