Summary: We have a duty to a world torn by tragedy to offer hope and encouragement. This message is an attempt to show that God is good despite obvious evil. It is a challenge to be as God is -- good. To do as God does -- good.
GOD IS A GOOD GOD
Charles W. Holt
For several years during the late ¡¦40s and throughout the ¡¦50s Oral Roberts was a leading evangelist in America. At one time he had the world¡¦s largest gospel tent which his team erected in the largest cities in America and overseas. It would seat upwards of 12-15 thousand people and would be filled night after night. I participated in one of those meetings when I was a pastor in Southern California.
Bro. Roberts had an expression he often used when he preached. Grasping the mike stand with his left hand, while holding the mike close to his mouth and waving an outstretched right hand, he would shout, "God is a good God. (Pause) The devil is a bad devil!" This became a trademark expression of his.
"God is a good God," Oral Roberts would say to encourage people to believe they could receive a miracle of healing or have other needs met because a "good God" does good things for people. He still is and He still does.
ƒÞ A "good God" saves from sin and delivers from the power of Satan.
ƒÞ A "good God" heals the sick.
ƒÞ A "good God" delivers from oppression or even demonic possession.
ƒÞ A "good God" supplies all your needs "according to His riches in Glory."
ƒÞ A "good God" guides, protects, provides, and bestows countless blessings in countless ways.
ƒÞ As the Psalmist would say, "A good God ¡¦daily loadeth us with benefits¡¦" (Psa. 68:19 KJV).
You and I believe and declare that GOD IS A GOOD GOD! We DO believe that, don¡¦t we? We believe this truth every day, in every way, in any and all circumstances. We believe that God is a good God. We are on solid Scriptural ground when we say, "God is a good God." I want you to hear these passages:
1. Psalm 25:8 -- Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
2. Psalm 34:8 -- O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
3. Psalm 69:16 -- Hear me, O LORD; for thy lovingkindness is good: turn unto me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
4. Psalm 85:12 -- Yea, the LORD shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase.
5. Psalm 100:5 -- For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.
6. Psalm 106:1-- Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
7. Psalm 107:1 -- O give thanks unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
8. Psalm 118:1-- O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever.
10. Psalm 118:29 -- O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
11. Psalm 135:3 -- Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.
12. Psalm 136:1 -- O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
13. Psalm 145:9 -- The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
14. Jeremiah 33:11-- The voice of joy, and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom, and the voice of the bride, the voice of them that shall say, Praise the LORD of hosts: for the LORD is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: and of them that shall bring the sacrifice of praise into the house of the LORD. For I will cause to return the captivity of the land, as at the first, saith the LORD.