Summary: God is all powerful and of highest authority; He doesx what He wants to do.
“God’s Gonna Do What He’s Gonna Do!”
David P. Nolte
The poet, Cowper, said, “God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform.” God Himself said, “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9 (NASB).
The song Frank and Brenda sang says that God’s ways are msterious.
“God’s gonna do what He’s gonna do
He’s always up to something new
And you never know just who He’s gonna use
So when He calls your name my friend
Find your place and jump right in
If you want to be in on
What God’s Gonna do.”
Let’s consider the Bible Text and think about God doing what He’s gonna do!
At God’s command, Jeremiah purchased apiece of property, and we read, “Then after I had given the papers to Baruch, I prayed to the LORD: ‘O Sovereign LORD! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you! You show unfailing love to thousands, but you also bring the consequences of one generation’s sin upon the next. You are the great and powerful God, the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. You have all wisdom and do great and mighty miracles. You see the conduct of all people, and you give them what they deserve. You performed miraculous signs and wonders in the land of Egypt—things still remembered to this day! And you have continued to do great miracles in Israel and all around the world. You have made your name famous to this day. You brought Israel out of Egypt with mighty signs and wonders, with a strong hand and powerful arm, and with overwhelming terror. You gave the people of Israel this land that you had promised their ancestors long before—a land flowing with milk and honey. Our ancestors came and conquered it and lived in it, but they refused to obey you or follow your word. They have not done anything you commanded. That is why you have sent this terrible disaster upon them. See how the siege ramps have been built against the city walls! Through war, famine, and disease, the city will be handed over to the Babylonians, who will conquer it. Everything has happened just as you said. And yet, O Sovereign LORD, you have told me to buy the field—paying good money for it before these witnesses—even though the city will soon be handed over to the Babylonians.’ Then this message came to Jeremiah from the LORD: ‘I am the LORD, the God of all the peoples of the world. Is anything too hard for me?’” Jeremiah 32:16-27 (NLT).
Consider three aspects of what God’s gonna do!
I. HE’S GONNA DO WHAT HE’S GONNA DO SOVEREIGNLY:
A. Jeremiah called Him Sovereign Lord.
1. Sovereign Lord: He is above all other authority; unparalleled in rank.
2. He commands, we comply; He orders, we obey; He directs, we do.
3. Solomon said, “We humans keep brainstorming options and plans, but GOD's purpose prevails.” Proverbs 19:21 (MSG).
B. If God is sovereign He can do as He wills and has authority to issue commands for us to obey. That goes against the grain of human nature!
1. The unregenerate heart is a rebel.
2. Mankind is still like those in the days of the judges. “In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes.” Judges 17:6 (NLT).
3. Mankind wants to be a law unto itself.
4. The core problem in the world today is the failure to recognize and honor the sovereignty of God.
5. There is little fear of God anywhere anymore.
C. But may we recognize and submit to the Sovereign Lordship of God!
1. Let us say, “I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart.” Psalm 40:8 (NLT)
2. And, “I have tried hard to find you— don’t let me wander from your commands.” Psalm 119:10 (NLT).
3. “Not my will, but Your will be done!”
D. I’m trying to say that God calls the shots:
1. God decides and acts; God does not ask, nor does He need to ask, our counsel or permission! He does it His way, not as we demand!
2. Eddie Snipes wrote, “The sovereignty of God is not a secondary issue but is completely foundational to everything we stand on. If God is not sovereign, how can I trust Him with every part of my life? When I say sovereignty I am referring our God who is all knowing, in total control and has the absolute right to do all things according to His good pleasure. There are countless false teachers today that contradict God Himself and claim their word has power over God and their doctrine overrules God.”