Summary: Think for a moment of all of the ways you are communicated to. People speak to us with their ideas almost every waking moment. Everyone is saying the same thing, "Listen to me...listen to what I say..." They are either knocking on your door, or they’re
Introduction: The world speaks in many different ways. And we have learned to listen. We often follow what the world tells us. This century alone, man has discovered the power of communication by way of the -
Newsprint, Telegram, Radio, Telephone, Televison, Internet
Think for a moment of all of the ways you are communicated to. People speak to us with their ideas almost every waking moment. Everyone is saying the same thing, "Listen to me...listen to what I say..."
They are either knocking on your door, or they’re calling you on the phone.
Everyone is wanting you to know -
1. who they are
2. what it is they (supposedly) can do for you
3. what it is they are wanting from you
Some of these things are good for us. But, the average person is bombarded from every direction with the things everyone else says will,
1. save you money - buy now, pay later, never before...get rich quick...
2. save you time - instant everything... In a hurry? We’ve got the answer! Ten locations (in Bloomington) to better serve you!
3. save the world - recycle everything...global warming is destroying our environment...
4. save your life - more calcium less fat...more exercise less cholesterol
Different causes and different companies compete all day long to get your attention. Or, to get your commitment.
They say they know how to make your life so much better.
People without God this morning are asking,
"With everything going so well in my life, why do I need God?"
The world is speaking and everyone listens.
The average man or woman is convinced that he is able to solve any and all of life’s problems.
The world speaks louder and louder. And still, God Speaks.
The world wants to save you money, save you time, save the environment, and save your live. All these voices are confusing our hearts.
But God is simply saying, "I am here to save your soul".
Jesus clearly puts all of this in perspective when He said,
"For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it.
"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?"
God knows we hear what the world has to say. Hr knows how you live.
But when God Speaks, He is expecting us to LISTEN to what He has to say. Listen very carefully. Be ready to hear and respond to His voice.
Text: Luke 1:5 thru 17
Zacharius was truly a blessed man.
Consider for a moment all of the blessings God spoke into his life:
1. Righteous man married to a righteous woman
2. Both he and his wife (Elizabeth) are living in God’s perfect will.
Blameless before the Lord.
3. He is visited by an angel (in the temple). He wasn’t even in the holy of holies. And not just any angel, but by the angel Gabriel.
4. Gabriel assures his prayers have been answered. (Perhaps, this was an old forgotten prayer prayed many years ago when Zacharius and Elizabeth were still young, and wanting children)
Zacharius’ prayers were heard in heaven and weren’t forgotten.
5. Zacharius is promised a newborn son. Zacharius doesn’t even have to worry about coming up with a name.