Summary: What is our relationship to Government?
The Nature of Government:
1) Civil Government is part of God’s Purpose for the World. Vs. 1-2
Key: Notice it doesn’t mention the specific form of government.
God has instituted three different institutions: The Family, The Church, and The Government.
2) Government Leaders are servants of God. Vs. 3-4
3) Civil Government is only Temporary.
Key: At the name of Jesus every knee will bow and tongue confess He is Lord!
The Purposes of Government:
1) To Protect Human Life! Genesis 9:6
Key: Only the government does have the authority of Life and Death!
2) To Protect Personal and Property Rights! Exodus 20:14-17
Key: Ten Commandments legitimize the things we have a right to own!
3) To Handle disputes between people! Deuteronomy 1:12
4) To Punish Lawbreakers! Vs. 4
Our Responsibility and Relationship to the Government:
1) I am a Citizen of two worlds! Philippians 3:20
Question: How do you keep those in focus and in balance?
2) My Primary Obedience is to God! Acts 4:13-20
3) I am to obey the law whenever possible! Titus 3:1
Because God established Government! Vs. 1
Because it is for my own good! Vs. 3
To maintain a clear conscious! Vs. 5
To maintain a good testimony! 1 Peter 2:13-15
4) We are to Pray for our Public Officials! 1 Timothy 2:1-4
5) As a Citizen I am required to pay my taxes. Vs. 6 -7
6) I am to influence my government for good! Matthew 5:13-16
Key: It doesn’t take a lot to be salty!
Question: Will you let your light shine?